What I did on my summer vacation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, Apr 9, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Don't you just love Bush's work schedule.

Back in August of 2001, Bush received a daily briefing with the title of "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States" on the 6th, and then went on a month long vacation on the 7th.
    White House to move to Texas for a while
    By Laurence McQuillan, USA TODAY, August 7, 2001
    WASHINGTON — Six months after taking office, President Bush will begin a month-long vacation Saturday that is significantly longer than the average American's annual getaway. If Bush returns as scheduled on Labor Day, he'll tie the modern record for presidential absence from the White House, held by Richard Nixon at 30 days.​

Move forward to 2004.

From the Washington Post:
    This is Bush's 33rd visit to his ranch since becoming president. He has spent all or part of 233 days on his Texas ranch since taking office, according to a tally by CBS News. Adding his 78 visits to Camp David and his five visits to Kennebunkport, Maine, Bush has spent all or part of 500 days in office at one of his three retreats, or more than 40 percent of his presidency.​

Iraq is burning, and the man is in Crawford entertaining Wayne La Pierre of the NRA:

Attached Files:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Didn't he also come into the White House with the idea of making it a 9 to 5 job (if that)?

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    You should be glad. When he is out of town he can't screw stuff up. :)

How much time does congress or the supreme court spend in session?
    How much time does the average governor work?

More vacations for the president and senators!
    Shut down the government! Send everyone home! Well everyone except law enforcement and the military.
    :D :D :D

4. frankzeg macrumors member

I would say the the owner of any even moderately successful business works nearly twice the hours of the W.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

according to this, bush has spent over 40% of his tenure in crawford or at another retreat.

meaning a FT mcdonald's employee works nearly twice the hours.

i once went > 3 years, working 60-100 hrs/week, w/o vacation. why? i had my own business.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You wanted to go grey?

Remeber that Clinton had nice dark hair when he first ran for President.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can't wait for the Bush presidential memoir (the sooner the better, actually). Allow me to suggest a title: "It Was All Kinda Easy Really."

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

true story: once or twice a year, i'd ask the woman who cuts my hair if "i was going bald yet." for years, it was always "no." then one day in '99, she said yes.

she showed me; i had the classic male pattern baldness starting. my doctor said there was nothing to be done. i saw a chinese doctor -- he said nothing could be done (to put it in perspective, he claims to routinely cure patients of HIV/AIDS).

shortly thereafter, i left the company, quitting the industry as well. the next time i went to get a haircut, she said said it had all grown back. to this day, the pattern hasn't returned.

and i've got no more gray hair then i did when i was a teenager (i.e. a few stray strands)

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

whew, hey george, stay at the ranch!! ;)

...and don't come back to the white house

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I got a few grey hairs when I was in college (21ish) and my hair stylist said they were probably stress related. 13 years later I'm still a brunette. I've pulled maybe a dozen stress related greys in those 13 years. I'm still wondering when I'll actually start to go grey. My mom colors her hair so I don't know how grey she actually is.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Could be that he stopped using JustForMen hair coloring products after he became President.

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

YEAH!!!

Just like my idea of paying each Congresscritter and Senator, $1 billion a year if they never set foot in Washington,DC to form a quorum. That would be a bargain in taxes.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

stress really mucks us up in unexpected ways. really horrible what we put ourselves through sometimes.

kudos to bush for figuring this out and taking his nearly 5 months of vacation / year, to recuperate from his 40 hour workweek.