What I hate about Save dialogs...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DavidCar, Feb 20, 2005.

1. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

When I want to save a file, and I navigate to a folder I want to save it in, and then I accidentally click on the greyed out name of another file in that folder, it changes the name of the file I want to save to the name I just clicked on. This seems totally senseless and annoying to me.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I find that to be a feature, as long as you don't accidentally click on the wrong file. Just click on the enclosing folder, and your file will be saved to that folder. No need to bring that folder into focus. This differentiates how Windows and Macs work.

3. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Doesn't that just replace the file you clicked on? I've never replaced a file that way, and if I accidentally click on a name, I can't recover without retyping the name of the file, or cancelling and chosing "save" again. I wish I could turn that feature off.

clicking on a folder I understand. Clicking on an existing file and having the name of the file-to=be-saved change to that name seems senseless.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, why don't you do it in reverse? Navigate to the place you want it saved, THEN type in the name of the file? (unless you want it named "Untitled" that is...)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I love this "feature" since it gives you the option to replace a file without having to type in the name of the file you want to replace. Before Panther, IIRC, clicking on the file would NOT replace the filename, therefore you HAD to type the name in to replace; a PITA for long filenames.

Now that you're aware of this feature, can I suggest just being a little more careful in the future so you don't accidentally click a file?...

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This feature was part of Mac OS 9, but OSX 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 the feature went mysteriously missing. I'm glad Apple brought back this feature in Panther.

7. DaiKirai macrumors member

Is there a way to navigate to invisible folders in Save dialogs? (Or in the finder, aside from hitting up "Find"...)

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The key to not having problems with OS X save dialogues is to not accidentally click anything. ;)

I hate it when I accidentally click "Don't Save" instead of "Save". :eek:

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Haven't found any way to do this... normally just save the file(s) to desktop, open terminal and type 'open .hidden_folder_or_whatever, than drag and drop the file(s) into the finder window which opens up...

10. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most of the time when this is a problem for me is when I am saving articles from the internet. In that case, most of the time, I never have to type in the name of the file.

11. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't recall that I have ever replaced a file with an original file of the same name since my first 1984 Macintosh. (I tend to save older stuff.) So this is not a "feature" for me. And I don't think a good operating system is one that I should have to be careful with. The OS should be adaptable to me, not vice versa.

But it is interesting to see that someone likes this "feature."

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I had no idea you could do this... :eek:

I'm going to have to start using it...

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

When you start doing web design, and you need to update an image slice in Photoshop or ImageReady with the same filename, this becomes a must-have feature.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If I'm understanding this correctly, Windows works in the exact same way. When I click on Save/Save as... and navigate to a folder I can click on any file in that folder and the name becomes the filename that I want to save to.

Maybe I'm missing something?

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sorry, I should have clarified. My experience with Windows ended with Windows 98.

16. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, that makes sense to me. I have wondered for some time why they would implement it that way. But for us accident-prone, how about an off switch, perhaps in the "handicapped" preferences?

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

So did mine (SE, but still 98), but I'm pretty sure it was a feature even then. It's just very, very long ago, and probably hard to remember...? ;)

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess the difference in Windows is that you usually don't see names of files that are in a different format than the current file -- you have to change the file type to All for that to happen. Whereas in OS X, you always see the other files, but they're greyed out.