What I picture as the future of gaming...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bobdude161, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Seeing as incoming gaming systems can now utilize disks with large storage capacity, more opportunities are arising. More storage means more textures and larger maps in the game. These large maps can support the landscape of a small island like the upcoming Test Drive: Unlimited that lets you drive all over the island of Oahu, but I thinks that's just the beginning.
    I can imagine developers using USGS satellites to make a game for people to drive around your neighborhood or even the whole world. Seeing how Google Earth can show sloping landscapes along with real-life textures with perspectives, why not use those models to make a larger version of Test Drive? Looking at Google Earth though, it seems that some parts of the country are poorly rendered. So, I guess it seems that there will be some difficulty creating maps in rural areas?? But nonetheless I believe that this could someday become a reality: to race across the U.S. in a virtual world and to not worry about smokeys givin you problems. :cool:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You sound like the PS3 fanboys who keep saying Blu-ray is going to make better everything. More space means more content, yes, but also means more time, a lot more money, and more patience on our part.

It's an interesting idea, nonetheless.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You are getting confused :confused:

More storage does NOT mean more details and bigger areas in a game.

Only a certain amount of detail can be loaded into RAM at any given time.

The 360 has only 512mb of ram which it can allocate dynamically to cpu and gpu depending on its needs

The PS3 has only 512 split into 2 256/256mb between CPU & GPU Gpu & CPU can use only 256 maximum.

If anything the only thing MORE STORAGE will make any difference in the dicernable future (the next 3-5 years anyway) is sticking uncompressed HD FMV onto the disc as well as the game.

No game uses double layer DVD to anything like its full capacity yet.

I guarantee NO game on the PS3 will ever use full BluRay capacity.

Besides physically bigger games require more money, more developers, and usually what happens is quality control goes down to make the game bigger - rather than better... It's highly risky for developers.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ah, but Blu-Ray is infinte! Seriously, first it was 25GB, then 50GB, then 200GB! Either they've found an über technology from space that'll remove the need for magnetic storage, or some PR dude is talking out of his ass

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

MRU said it all. Storage space just means they can store more stuff. It doesn't mean it can be used at once. BluRay really is taking an unnecessary step, at least at those "claimed" 200gb discs. 50gb is probably going to be the max for next gen. but even then, especially when you consider that the big games on current gen consoles take up a max of 4gb. add an extra gb or 2 for the higher resolution textures. as the 360 proves. or without HD textures 4gb is all you need (Wii).

It probably won't be the future of gaming, at least MS and Sony's vision. but my vision is load-free games. It's 2006 now and we're still looking at loading bars. I'd rather the graphics take a step back a little bit and Sony/whoever come up with some system of superloading SD graphics. HD for the next gen *I say with HDTV in hand* when they can finally get things running smoothly.

6. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I don't know but I want the ultimate game that is like Driver, The Sims 2, and Mario 64 DS put together.

Where you can live your life telling the person what to do, but also drive around town and do missions, and earn stars and such. All the buidlings you see in driver...I wish you could go in them. In The Sims 2, you can only see one lot, I want to be able to be like in a REAL neighborhood and be more interactive with the other people. and....I like Mario 64 but I just want all 3 combined.

...this is what I want. but i dont think its gonna happen. something that is like...an all around game

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They need to reliably manufacture single-layer discs in quantity before they can even think about making 6 or 8 layer discs outside of a lab.
    And I'll echo what MRU said. Storage space is NOT the limiting factor in texture quality. You can have a longer/wider/taller game with more space, but the quality won't be any better unless the code is good.
    I've had a similar idea for a while. You can go into any building that currently exists (well, that is known. :p), go into any (known) room, and travel between any city on the planet.
    It would also be the most expensive game ever made. :D

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

To clarify: It means you can have more areas, but not bigger areas. The console can only work on so much at once (limited by RAM).

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

8.5 GB, actually. Dual layered DVD's.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If the system has some kind of dynamic loading then the game world could be as big as you wanted and not limited by the RAM. The quality of the game world would be limited by the draw distance and the amount of textures and polygons can be stored in the RAM. 512MB can probably hold quite a lot of this information, probably more than enough to max out the graphics hardware of the systems concerned. Think how big the WoW world is, it doesn't need huge amounts of RAM to run and has very few loading screens indeed.

I think the size of the game world is no longer limited by memory but by costs.

Besides which, the future of gaming isn't this stuff, its... the Wii!!

11. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

"This PS3 game has great loading times! I only need to wait 20 minutes for all the maps to load!"

I imagine there will be some games with very large maps, but I also imagine those games would be Animal-Crossing-style (not Wild World) in that you can only see one square of the grid at a time.

12. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Oh hell ya it would take lots of money and time. But maybe they could automate in making the maps like Google Earth. They could take a half step to that goal of obtaining world-wide availibilty for racing and stick with cities for now. Small cities maybe, like Louisville. Oh yeah.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh yea I know but the only game I have seen exceed the single layer DVD size is some Team Force (not the name, but i'm sure it had either Team or Force in the title) game that used up about 5gb. I've never seen a current gen game hit the peak of a double layered DVD.

14. Atlasland macrumors 6502

There is such a game...

...its called "Life".

15. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

You walk in buildings all your life :confused:

he said he had a similar idea for a game as mine...

i hate it when people say the sims is pointless, and that there is a REAL game like that called 'life'. the sims is soo different from real life.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, I'll try to be optimistic to the original post and think in the (more) distant future. It's true that larger textures require more RAM, but think abou the current G5's which are capable of 16 GB of RAM (Or almost 2 full Dual Layer DVD's). Now I know that there are overheads in running any system, so not all of that 16 will be available for textures. But given a high enough speed for the system (EDRAM or whatever is in the 360 and rumored to be in the Wii) some of the shortcomings of the amount of RAM can be overcome. Also, technology will progress, which means faster and larger amounts of RAM.

My second point is that some games (XPlane, for instance) already have what you speak of (Allowing you to fly in real-world terrains, real-time weather conditions, etc.). Incorporating that into more games really doesn't seem like it would be too difficult (though accurate models of entire cities for games seem a bit overkill. Maybe some generalizations in most areas with larger cities being more accurate would be more practical.

I'm just trying to say that as technology progresses, the idea will become more feasable.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, but you get arrested and such for shooting people in this "life" you speak of. :D

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you really want to try a game like that, take a look at Second Life.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, Star Ocean on PS2 comes on two DVDs. So does Xenosaga, also PS2.

20. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

that game is gross.

21. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

are you ready for full length CG cut-scenes (hours worth in-game) and bonus documentary and making-of videos? im not.

the only good use for blu-ray is really good graphics. and unless the game is good the graphics wont mean crap.

22. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Then don't play it. Quite a few others will keep enjoying it.

IIRC, both of those games have a lot of FMV. I could be wrong, however.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Probably (don't own them), but it's still important to note that these are PS2 games filling 8.5 GB.

24. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

:eek:

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

True, but FMV generally takes up a LOT more space than most other things. And I've seen a lot of stuff about horrible compression on the PS2, among other things, which would contribute to its using more space.