what i saw at the apple store

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tcamposr, Nov 6, 2006.

1. tcamposr macrumors newbie

Hello;

I visited the apple store and they had some sort of menu in the center of the desktop on every mac on the store... one goes to safary, one goes to iCal and stuff like that. I have you seen something like that? Is it possible to reproduce it in my mac?

Thanks

TC

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not that I'm aware of...it's a custom app designed specifically for the Apple Store to give shoppers quick access to things. It may be a part of their Concierge system.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure that is an in-store thing only. That is where you go to sign up for the Genius Bar, the calender has all the store events.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's probably "Simple Finder". Do a search on it in "Mac Help" from the Finder.

It's part of Parental Controls for a user account. (System Preferences -> Accounts)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No...it's even simpler than that. It's basically a small app launcher that's built into the Desktop.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that feature is only available on computers in the store. i asked a friend of mine who worked there about it and his response was "why would you even need that if you have the dock?"

8. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

You can get the same effect using Docktop. Not exactly the same, but its pretty close.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good catch...now that you mention it, I found that a while back when a similar thread came up. Haven't used it, but it looks cool.

10. CaptainCanuck macrumors member

It works nicely as an workaround for multiple docks, although it can be a bit slow to launch at times and it lacks the ability to drag and drop apps onto it.

But not too bad for $4.

11. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

There's some other thread not too long ago on this same subject. Next time I'm in the apple store, I'm going to comb the applications folder for what is actually powering it.

12. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4