What I want to do/Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OrangeCuse44, Mar 20, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

To begin, when I say "is it possible," I mean can a newbie web designer like myself accomplish this without much trouble...And if possible, it would be wonderful if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of what software to use, what host to use, etc...

What I want to do: I want to create a web site (most likely through iWeb being that I have little experience with web design, but I do consider myself computer savvy). What I want with this site is for a form of public blog geared towards a specific topic. I would like for the layout to be relatively simple (basically a box for a post in the middle of the homepage) where someone posts thoughts and other users can respond to that thought creating a "conversation." I would like for visitors to create user accounts, along with profiles, avatars for posting.

Im not sure if there is a service out there that can support a blog like this (either free or low cost). Any help and further questions on this is greatly appreciated!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You can't do that with iWeb, instead you need to install and configure blog or forum software such as phpBB or WordPress onto your servers that you either rent or own.

Dreamhost is really good at setting stuff like that up for you. You sort-of need to know what you're doing though to "make it your own" and not look generic.

WordPress
    phpBB
    Dreamhost

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It sounds like you want to call it a blog but instead you're making a forum. Is it based around anything or is it just going to be for random thoughts?

4. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

i have a few possible ideas about what it will be geared towards but i guess what im looking for is a cross between a blog and a forum...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's an impossible question to answer "can I do X ... without too much touble"

It depends entirely on the skill of the person and the tools they are working with.

At this point it appears that you do not have either the skills or the tools, so prepare yourself for a steep learning curve and a considerable amount of troubles.

6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Well, it's not hard to set up a wordpress or forum-website; there are many ready-made packages out there. You just need a server. Alternatives are Blogspot or Vox, which allow you to run a blog for free, and there are some Wiki-solutions as well. So that's not hard.

Making it a website that people want to visit, on the other hand, be prepared to think about that one for a few months or longer. There's millions of people blogging now, so whatever you're gonna do, think about a good subject + an excellent marketing plan. Good luck!

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If youa re just looking for something quick and free try www.blogger.com, use the new one.

You can create your account, then select a blog template, create an initial post, and then allow comments from registered members only. It's fairly easy to customize using their built in tools, and it's all web based.

If you want a forum, you will need a server, or host service.

Since you don't seem to be running your own server (complicated beyond belief), I suggest a host service. Register a domain name (e.g. www.mytopics.com). Use GoDaddy, or Lowcostdomains, pretty cheap.

Then, you need the host service, I use simplehost.com . They have a lot of things once you are setup including forum software, blog software, chat software, all installed through the user control panel on their site.

they email you instructions, and have tutorials.

If you need extra help, you can always pm me here, I'd be glad to give guidance to the best of my ability.

Good luck.

Brian

8. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Thank you Brian that was very helpful and I may take you up on that PM offer if need be. And thanks everyone else for the previous posts, much appreciated.