What I want to know about sims 2...

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Aug 18, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Why is it that when I read through the reviews on amazon about sims two a number of people seem quite happy running it on low end machines their only complaints being that it has slow load times, yet others find the play unbearable on an iMac g5 (rev a I think) is it just some people expect way to much in the preformance area?
  2. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    are these all reviews for the mac version? because if so, I don't know.

If it doesn't say specifically, then it's because the iMac G5 is seriously lacking in the graphics department, and that has a huge, overwhelming, monstrous impact on Sims 2's performance. I upgraded (on my PC) my 9600 Pro 128 to a 6600 GT 128 and I can now run Sims 2 at any resolution I want, and can turn on "smoothing" (FSAA) all the way on any resolution below 16x12. I have pretty high standards, in general, so I tend to go with a lower resolution if it will give me a much smoother experience. That's why I am currently running Sims 2 at 1280x1024 with full "smoothing" and all of the other graphics options turned on. It looks beautiful and it's smooth at almost all times. If I have 7-8 people over and nobody is sleeping, it gets "chuggy" if someone has an "event" like going to work or whatever. But generally it just sails along. It's faster on my 6600 than sims 1 was on my 9600...mainly because Sims 1 wasn't nearly so well programmed. It's really an excellent piece of software just in general. I used it to plan the landscaping in my yard, and it even played a role in helping me decide a set of blueprints from about 15 different plans that I had available. I built one of each in a neighborhood, then put some people in them and tried to see which layouts worked the best. With the exception of the roofing system (which is still a bit hard to use), and the limitation on the minimum length of walls (a good limitation for gameplay purposes), it's a better home/landscaping preview tool than most architectural software for the average Joe. It's like having a very pretty, inhabitable, dumbed-down CAD program with day/night cycles and a ton of other great things.