WhAT I WOULD GIVE TO HAVE SPOTLIGHT RIGHT NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 30, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

hey, ok, kinda an emergency, i have this file, somwhere on my powerbook, and i don't know if i deleted it or not, but i can't remember the title and i need to do a search of INSIDE the file, which to my understanding is exactly wat spotlight does, I NEED THIS FILE!!!!! IS THERE NETHING I CAN DO!? its a word document

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Easy:

1) Select the drive it's on and do a "get info".
    2) Under the "Content index" section, click "Index Now".
    3) When it finishes, you will have a full content index of the guts of every text file on the drive, and the Finder's "Find" command can search inside by selecting the "Contents" option.

To save time on the indexing, if you know which general folder it was in (for example, your Home folder), you can just do a get info -> index on that.

The magic of Spotlight isn't this ability--it's existed in the MacOS since before OSX--it's the way it does it automatically and also searches internal databases like Mail and your Address Book.

3. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I would very suprised if the current search enginee in the Panther does not have an option ot look side files. I know you been able to to that in windows since 95. It makes the search a heck of a lot longer but it does look inside the files

5. thezanman macrumors newbie

Control-F + Change first dropdown search option thing to "Content" = found file! (and enough time to watch paint dry in between).

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Isnt it Command-F?