What iBook to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Apr 5, 2004.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Ive decided to buy a used iBook on ebay. I only need it for microsoft office, internet, watching dvd's while traveling and for listening to some music. Id like to spend around 500 - 600 dollars and the 466mhz iBook seems to be the one that falls into that price range. My first question is:

Are there two different 466mhz iBooks because I notice some say SE and some don't?
    Also would i be able to run osx?
    What should i look out for being that this is my first ebay purchase?
    Would this be a good laptop for the purposes that i need it for?

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

1) not sure as to the "SE" qualification, check apple's site for old models to see specs
    2)Yes, it WILL run OS X, however, it won't be blazing. but you probably already knew that. I ran OS X on a 400MHz iMac G3 for 2 years, and i was fine with it. so you should be okay.
    3)Yes. It should be fine for what you need it.

Be wary about eBay deals, but you really should be fine! Let us know! :)

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The SE referred to the Special Edition Graphite or Lime iBook. It had a 466MHz clock speed and came with a DVD-ROM drive.

4. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

My question is, Is there 2 different 466mhz iBooks? Or is the SE the only one?

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I got it and its great. Couldnt be happier with it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  6. janey macrumors 603

janey

wanna buy my iBook G3 for $600? (800mhz/256mb ram/32mb vram, etc.)
    Hehe, just joking.
    Try the buy/sell forum here on Macrumors...or you could ask friends...
    Honestly, ebay is a complete ripoff when it comes to Macs...you could sell a POS for like double market value :\

7. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

A lot of people get off on telling people their machines won't do what they want them to, becaz they're too low spec.

All of the replies above have it spot on - if that's all you want to do with your machine, most anything could do it - that iBook will have no problem. :)

As ubergeek says, be careful of eBay - there are a lot of ripoff merchants out there. Just look for the tell-tale signs; requesting back transfer, seller in a foreign country "on business", unwilling to use Escrow services, etc. And if you do use Escrow - which, personally, I would - use a real one. There are a lot of fakes around.

Good luck :)

peace.

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

eh... the 466 se was a nice machine, no doubt. *but* (there's always one of those) if you can swing the 500 ibook, i think you'd be in a little better shape. my main reason, seeing what you're planning on using it for, is screen resolution - the se you're looking at is limited to 800x600, while the 500 (it's an icebook) has 1024x768 - which is almost the defacto standard these days for websites. not all of them, but enough to make it annoying when you have to start scrolling side to side to read what's going on...

but hey, i think most of us here have been in a money crunch, so whichever one you can afford, i'm sure you'll fall in love with...

matt

9. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

with regards to escrow

UPS (the Real UPS, brown suits and vans) has an inexpensive COD option. I used it before with seomone who bought my old iMac on eBay. Its only like, $7.00 i think.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

ibooks and powerbooks on ebay

I've been watching (and occasionally bidding on) 12" ibooks and 1st gen 12" powerbooks on ebay and the prices make no sense at all. The always sell for more than the apple refurbs. Its kind of incredible-- e.g. take a look at #4121114914 on ebay (closed yesterday) -- a 12" 867 USB 1 256 RAM powerbook with an airport card went for $1,275.00 -- apple sells the same thing (without so much risk, I would think) for 1049 and a refurb AE card for 79 -- totalling $1128. Even with sales tax, you do better with Apple. The 12" G4 ibook refurb is $949, and ebayers routinely go over a thousand bucks-- sometimes over 1100. And, when you bid on powerbooks, you get the added bonus of shady emails from non-U.S. domains offering you powerbooks for $850-- suuuuuuuure.)

11. KatOuz macrumors newbie

I have a 500 mHz iceBook that I'm looking to sell for about 600-650 CDN. If anyone is interested, e-mail me at kat_o@sympatico.ca

12. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I disagree, I looked at alot of legit resellers b4 i bought it off ebay and these little suckers still go for 600, 700 and up to 800 dollars. So i feel like I got a good deal.

Just look at this ad off of http://www.powermax.com

Attached Files:

13. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Yea i really couldnt afford the 500mhz icebook though. The resolution doesnt bother me for the amount of time i spend on it. Its actually easier to read what im writing in excel than on my 17" cinema display. Thanx for the post, I do love it!