Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
People need to stop talking about how Apple invented the smartphone or tablet.

Google made widgets to what they are today. Today, there'es a ton of way to have an icon that shows more than just a pic (ex. Microsoft's live tiles) which are alternatives ways.

Android was able to update, implemented, improve, etc. widgets and apply them onto a mobile os that works really well.

Your acting like Apple never looked at what Android had and took some ideas from it.

woah, someone got all defensive there. :rolleyes:
I, for one, never said apple invented the smartphone/tablet. but I guess stating a fact hurts your little fandroid feeling inside?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Umm a lot of this stuff originated in android. In fact almost everything listed here has been in android from the beginning which predates the jailbreak .

The first android device was sold in late 2008, the jail breaking community was already thriving by then. Also, check out Google's first demo of Android (basically a Blackberry), uploaded in NOVEMBER 2007. Skip the blackberry part and take a look at the touchscreen later in the video. Very few of those features you mention were there. So please, at least research before posting untruths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avwGFsv60U

Keep in mind the iPhone was released in JUNE 2007.

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
woah, someone got all defensive there. :rolleyes:
I, for one, never said apple invented the smartphone/tablet. but I guess stating a fact hurts your little fandroid feeling inside?

I don't see how I got defensive...

I guess it was your interpretation of aggressiveness (probably from yourself).

Anyways..

Since I don't actually own an Android device I guess my Apple feelings are hurting inside...or?

/confused

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Never used Android, but that tap to share thingy they show is pretty cool. Especially if it is as seamless as in their advertisements.

Though not entirely OS related, I also love the small vibration typing or hitting certain buttons make. The feedback is nice on a phone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
People need to stop talking about how Apple invented the smartphone or tablet.

Google made widgets to what they are today. Today, there'es a ton of way to have an icon that shows more than just a pic (ex. Microsoft's live tiles) which are alternatives ways.

Android was able to update, implemented, improve, etc. widgets and apply them onto a mobile os that works really well.

Your acting like Apple never looked at what Android had and took some ideas from it.

That's just not true. Google didn't do anything to widgets, really. They're the same as they've always been, and they sure as hell aren't new. OS X has had widgets for many years.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
That's just not true. Google didn't do anything to widgets, really. They're the same as they've always been, and they sure as hell aren't new. OS X has had widgets for many years.

I never said Google invented widgets.

I'm saying that made them popular and great for smartphones.

Yes, I'm aware OS X had widgets, but OS X is a desktop OS not a mobile OS.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I never said Google invented widgets.

I'm saying that made them popular and great for smartphones.

Yes, I'm aware OS X had widgets, but OS X is a desktop OS not a mobile OS.

and who shaped the smartphone as we know it today? oh right, not samsung, not google, not RIM, but apple. yet you completely denied that in your previous posts, the irony is strong with you.

merry christmas sucker, go spend some time with your family instead of trolling on a forum.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
and who shaped the smartphone as we know it today? oh right, not samsung, not google, not RIM, but apple. yet you completely denied that in your previous posts, the irony is strong with you.

merry christmas sucker, go spend some time with your family instead of trolling on a forum.

Okkk dude. Not sure how this turned into a Apple vs Samsung, Google, RIM thread but pissed off Apple fanboy is always a nice present for the holidays.

:p

Also multiple users like what Jellybean 4.2 has would be great for an iPad. Although the chances of Apple doing that would probably be 0%. They want everyone to pay and have their own tablet.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The first android device was sold in late 2008, the jail breaking community was already thriving by then. Also, check out Google's first demo of Android (basically a Blackberry), uploaded in NOVEMBER 2007. Skip the blackberry part and take a look at the touchscreen later in the video. Very few of those features you mention were there. So please, at least research before posting untruths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avwGFsv60U

Keep in mind the iPhone was released in JUNE 2007.

That was one of two prototypes they demod that day. They also demoed a slate device that sported an interface very similar to what was released in 2008.

----------

Google desktop had widgets before OS X did anyways so that point is moot.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Okkk dude. Not sure how this turned into a Apple vs Samsung, Google, RIM thread but pissed off Apple fanboy is always a nice present for the holidays.

:p

Also multiple users like what Jellybean 4.2 has would be great for an iPad. Although the chances of Apple doing that would probably be 0%. They want everyone to pay and have their own tablet.

haha dodging your mistakes dont make them disappear. To say that apple didnt revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market just shows your ignorance. :rolleyes:

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
haha dodging your mistakes dont make them disappear. To say that apple didnt revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market just shows your ignorance. :rolleyes:

Copy and paste where I said that Apple didn't revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market.

Exact words.

Ready. set. go.

I'm waiting.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Copy and paste where I said that Apple didn't revolutionize the smartphone and tablet market.

Exact words.

Ready. set. go.

I'm waiting.

Copy and pasting something that you couldve changed two seconds ago is a waste of my time.

Have fun doing your mental gymnastics in hating apple while i enjoy some christmas movies on my apple tv. you won't be missed. :cool:

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Copy and pasting something that you couldve changed two seconds ago is a waste of my time.

Have fun doing your mental gymnastics in hating apple while i enjoy some christmas movies on my apple tv. you won't be missed. :cool:

LOL. cant find where I said it so you try to insult me. Then make an excuse saying that I probably edited my post. Yes, please go enjoy your Apple TV and stop wasting your time. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That was one of two prototypes they demod that day. They also demoed a slate device that sported an interface very similar to what was released in 2008.

----------

Wanna know how I know that you didn't even watch the short video I posted?:rolleyes:

That slate device didn't have nearly the amount of features that were claimed to be in android "from the beginning". But you'd know that if you watched the entire video.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Wanna know how I know that you didn't even watch the short video I posted?:rolleyes:

That slate device didn't have nearly the amount of features that were claimed to be in android "from the beginning". But you'd know that if you watched the entire video.

Ive seen the video many times. The majority of the OS was very similar upon release especially the status bar.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
we can ask for all these features but would we actually use them?? People seem pretty happy with iOS devices right now so Apple sees no need to implement them

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
we can ask for all these features but would we actually use them?? People seem pretty happy with iOS devices right now so Apple sees no need to implement them

Well you can look at it from that way.

But remember all the times when people have said that Apple doesn't need to add that but when it does, everyone is like wow I can't live without it.

People certainly are happy and there are a ton (the majority that doesn't care) but Apple should find the balance between not overwhelming new comers while giving more tech-savvy people more options.

Not asking for full Android widgets, but more widgets in Notification Center would be good, multi-touch gestures for Multitasking would make things easier, live icons for weather is simple and informative, etc.

Android has some great features and options that work well and its surprising that it wasn't Apple would implemented them first.

szman86

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Just 2 things for me:

- toggle settings from the task bar (wifi, Bluetooth, etc.)
- an app/ task killer (I hate having to kill apps one by one)

If Apple did this, I'd be very happy:D

Why are you killing apps? For the most part, after 5 seconds apps are no longer running in the background anyways by the OS. Apple had memory issues that lead to this misconception, but they have since been resolved. It's a waste of your time to be killing them.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Why are you killing apps? For the most part, after 5 seconds apps are no longer running in the background anyways by the OS. Apple had memory issues that lead to this misconception, but they have since been resolved. It's a waste of your time to be killing them.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

It makes games that are graphics heavy run smoother. Also I have to clear out my iPad 1 multitasking try or eventually it just crashes.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Might not really be android based... but I think Apple needs to start allowing cloud storage for things other than managed backups and application data. Something a long the lines of Google Drive.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Might not really be android based... but I think Apple needs to start allowing cloud storage for things other than managed backups and application data. Something a long the lines of Google Drive.

I'm hoping they'll eventually introduce something like Google Docs.

Being to work on files with others at the same time with iWork apps would be awesome.

iPhone, iPad, or Mac versions should all be updated to support this.

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I stopped reading at the end of post 40. All I can really say is, when we talk android we should talk pure vanilla android. When you bring in game centers and siri wannabes, all that. Its not pure android we are talking about. Those are "features" (I call bloatware) from companies who customize the phone such as Samsung Motorola and Huawei. That's why apple sues other companies more than they sue Google.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
Are you that far out of touch? Android Jelly Bean is now light years ahead of IOS 6 and it is making me angry that I've invested so much money on the Apple eco-system! Apple should turn IOS development over to the jailbreak DEV TEAMS! - At least get me a keyboard where I can accurately move the cursor to a point on the screen where I need it, instead of stabbing away for five minutes like an idiot trying to land at the end of a word to insert an "S" for crying out loud!

I meant to type copied. My mistake. I would still say that copied is a strong word in some of your examples.

----------

Google talk works darn near perfect in noisy bars no less on both my Motorola MAXX HD and my wife's Nexus 7 - Think Google Maps to Apple Maps - My iPad 4 Siri is not only inaccurate they also seem to have taken away her snotty sense of humor which almost made up for its lack of working!

I stopped reading at the end of post 40. All I can really say is, when we talk android we should talk pure vanilla android. When you bring in game centers and siri wannabes, all that. Its not pure android we are talking about. Those are "features" (I call bloatware) from companies who customize the phone such as Samsung Motorola and Huawei. That's why apple sues other companies more than they sue Google.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010

Think if Apple wanted to sue Google, it would have already sued them but it can't.

It's going for Samsung, HTC, etc, the hardware manufacturers who actually make money off of Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.