What if Apple buys Adobe?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by devman, Dec 17, 2005.

1. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Saw this article earlier.

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2005/20051216.shtml

I wonder what people's thoughts on this thinking are? I don't buy into the Dharma part of this speculation, but the Adobe purchase and it's "mutually assured destruction" angle is interesting.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can't see it happening... it would smack of too much diversification and would spread Apple too thin IMHO.

As much as I admire Apple, I don't think they'd be fantastic stewards of Adobe's now-expanded product portfolio with their recent acquisition of Macromedia.

Buying Quark? Don't think so. It's a privately-owned company, last I heard.

And on a side note, where's Google in the equation? Who knows what they're secretly up to in the greater scheme of things?

3. devman thread starter macrumors 65816

devman

Oh yeah I forgot about the Quark part of the article. I don't think they need to be bought anyway.

FWIW - I can't see the Adobe thing happening either right now. But this is the first one of these "theories" I've read in a while that is interesting enough to think about.

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I could see it working, but it is extremely unlikely. As long as Apple didn't interfere too much, they could run Adobe as a seperate operation to the rest of Apple and maybe slowly integrate it into the body of the company.

Just as long as Apple as we currently know it doesn't change, I'd be happy with a takeover.

5. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

sure....just add Photoshop and Illustrator to the iLife suite :)
    Throw Dreamweaver and Flash in there while you're at it ;)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Couldn't Claris return? Apple do seem enthusiastic about finding new ways to sell hardware and slowly increasing market penetration.

7. ATD macrumors 6502a

I think he's dead on about Apples plans to go head on with MS in the future after the Intel switch is complete but I see no danger of MS pulling Office from the Mac. Even if they did, the Intel Mac should be able to run Windows. As far as buying Adobe, while it sounds like a great idea for Apple, I think they be sidetracking their current goals which I believe is leading up to a full scale OS war with MS once the Intel switch is a done deal.

8. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Isn't most of the professional media/advertising/print buisness based on apples anyway, I work for a newspaper, we use apples, our marketing department uses apples for the adverts, and our printers use apples as well (or at least there were a lot more apples than pc's last time I looked around). Therefore surely if apple bought adobe (unlikely) then by stopping having adobe products on windows - it wouldn't damage Microsoft to badly?? :eek:

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

As much as I wouldn't like to see this... I don't think Apple's pockets are deep enough anyways...

10. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

how would apple buy adobe? with a stock swap? i don't think adobe would go for it. this almost sounds like aol "buying" time-warner.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple Computer is a Fortune 500 company. Adobe does not make the list.

12. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

the list is based on gross revenue and doesn't really mean much to the discussion. you'll notice wal-mart is top on the list, but its actual profits are several times lower than the second company on the list: exxon.

whether or not apple can buy adobe depends on if people invested in adobe are willing to trade their adobe stock for apple stock (or stock and cash), since apple certainly doesn't have enough cash on hand to buy all of adobe.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You seem not to understand that Apple is huge. It is big in both tangible assets and market capitalization. Adobe is tiny in comparison. This is not to say that an Apple takeover of Adobe is like Coca-Cola buying Caitlan's Lemonade. The liquid assets of the buyer are rarely issues in corporate takeovers. The leveraged buyout is the classic example where the assets of the takeover target are used as collateral by the buyer to finance the takeover. We have seen some very high profile buyouts of big companies by much smaller ones. But you are correct that a buyout is possible if the investors of the target are willing to sell. Apple, for example, has a major shareholder who has never given any indication of even considering a sell-off. It is my understanding that Adobe also has a controlling shareholder who won't sell. Bottomline: It ain't gonna happen.