what if apple has a super fast g3 ibook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Mar 30, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    ...so fast with the ibm mobile g3 that its clock speed was faster than that of the motorola altivec enhanced mobile g4?

would that hurt sales for the tibook?
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I don't think all that much, because even if the G3 had 1 GHz (which they say is going to happen), it wouldn't be as fast overall as the G4 at the same clock speed (altivec). By making faster G3s, it will give Apple greater longetivity to the iBook, allow for a cheaper consumer level laptops, and keep IBM supplying Apple with processors well into 2003.

Once the G5 comes along, things might get tricky. And I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't been something of a factor in why we haven't seen it sooner. For Apple to have 3 different processors would be inefectual, they'd end up with the same problem they had with the cube (maybe).
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Re: what if apple had a super fast g3 ibook?

Why do you ask? :)

The 600MHz G3 iBook already has a faster clock speed than the 550MHz TiBook. The TiBook does do better in most benchmarks, especially Altivec benchmarks, but it does have the lower clock speed... and I'm guessing that does cause it to compete against the iBooks somewhat. At the least, it makes it harder to decide between the two.

There must be faster versions of the mobile IBM G3 available, considering that IBM has broke the 1GHz barrier with them on the desktop. In that case, the only reason Apple isn't selling them is because they don't want to cut into sales of the TiBooks even further. I don't think Apple would be keen on seeing sales of iBooks rise while simultaneously sales of TiBooks fall, as the TiBooks are much more profitable. Same principle as iMac vs. Power Mac on the desktop, I think...

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    okay the co processor is one difference....but doesnt the bus speed make another difference here? ....
  5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    bus speed makes a HUGE difference indeed. but i believe the 1ghz g3 ibm made in 99 had a 400mhz bus.
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    The more I read......

The more I think it would be great for Apple to shift everything over to a G4... super fast G3 or not......

Ultimately the iBook will never be faster overall than the Powerbook.... never...... There simply is no logic in this....

The Ti Book needs some serious re-engineering work, faster chips, better video, bigger harddrives, faster bus, better Ram, etc etc..... but the iBook need these changes aswell to remain competitive overall!!
  7. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    So why don't Apple just scrap the iBook, make the TiBook as fast as they can, then just offer slower versions of it? Everyone is happy. The TiBook is as fast as Apple can make it, and there's still a cheap model aimed at consumers. Everybody's happy!

Wow, I should work for Apple. No? Oh, ok. :(
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I'd go for that.....

Beej I'd go for that, but I know that alot of people love the look of the iBook (I'm not a fan, but it's a personal opinion);)

I'd like Apple to offer a smaller Ti Book, maybe with a 13.2" mega wide screen, and keep the look and construction of the Ti Book, and get rid of the iBook..... But as I said some people adore the iBook as much as I adore the Ti Book..... Maybe offer a smaller Ti Book and keep the iBook......:D