What If Apple Made Processors For Its Computers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by testcss, Apr 21, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Feb 28, 2011
    Just imagine along with me, Apple introduces A6 processors that will be used in Macs as well as iPads, etc. Would you buy a MBA with an A6? Here is what I believe it would look like:

11" MBA $999

A6 1.6 ghz variable dual-core ( variable meaning it can boost to like 2 ghz, but also down clock to 1ghz to conserve electricity.)
    3 gb ram (1 gb integrated plus 2 gb external)
    128 gb ssd
    Integrated A6 Graphics 256 mb (about as powerful as 9400m)
    15 hour battery life ( this is quite feasible considering the lower-power parts.)

13" MBA $1299
    A6 1.8 ghz boosts to 2.4 ghz, down clocks to 1.2 ghz
    256 gb ssd
    Integrated A6 Graphics 256 mb
    12 hour battery life

Would you buy these MBA's running Lion or a Sandy Bridge variant such as:

11" MBA $999
    i3 1.2 ghz
    intel 3000 graphics

I would personally choose the A6 even though they lack performance. The energy-efficiency and thinness that could be achieved would be amazing! Apple would have to start manufacturing their processors though, as I doubt Samsung will do anything for them after the sue job:)
  2. macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2010
    Apple use to make processors. Power PC G4 and previous series. Long story short the Intel chips were an upgrade.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2011
    Death Star, Rishi Maze
    15 hour battery life is over ridiculous, even the pro's did not manage to gain over 10 hours, even with SB processors, it won't manage that much
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    PowerPC chips were from IBM and Motorola.
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2010
    clock for clock the A4-A6 SOC cant even compete with a C2D or possibly Atom. How can they fight with SB?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2010
    If Apple did it, it'd be amazingly awesome and fast. Maybe someday...
  7. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Oct 21, 2008
    So they would have a slower processor than a SB-based Air, and have worse graphics than a SB-based Air. What are the benefits, here?
  8. HelloPanda, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

macrumors member

Apr 16, 2011
    Let me introduce you to a little company called Lenovo. See, they make this laptop called Thinkpad X220, that gets an estimated 8 hours with a 6-cell, 15 hours with a 9-cell, and 23 hours with a 6+Slice Battery Combination.
  9. macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    I'll pass. It's nice to be able to compare specs across the line of Macs and PCs. Macs have become a lot more popular and user-friendly since Apple switch to intel from PPC, and they're making more money now, so I don't think they'll go back to proprietary stuff.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2005
    The Lenovo X220(12.5in) with the full voltage SB cpu, and IPS screen option(can affect battery life from what I read) can do a little over 8 hours with the 6-cell and 14-16.5 hour range with the 6-cell and battery slice option in real world usage according to the reviews. I would think with just the 9-cell it can do 10+ hours and 9-cell + battery slice 20+ hours. I guess we could get similar battery life if Apple offered some slick slice option for the whole Macbook line and didn't care about thinness.

Edit: I guess I missed the post above me.
  11. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    We use those netbooks at school, and while the battery life is great, the laptop is very crappy: Cramped as keyboard, cramped as trackpad, crappy underpowered atom processor... I'd rather have a MBA with not as good battery life any-day.

Bottom line: Lenovo has sacrificed everything to make those netbooks have a long battery life. Its the only thing they've got going for them...
  12. macrumors member

Apr 16, 2011
    The Thinkpad X220 is not a netbook, since it has a fully powered i3-i7 SandyBridge Processor and can take up to 8 GB of 1333MHZ RAM. It has bluetooth, 720p Webcam, FingerPrint Reader and IPS Display

It's a powerful NOTEBOOK. A business NOTEBOOK.
  13. macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2008
    Let companies continue to do what they do best. Apply should not interfere.
  14. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh the ones at my school are idea-pads (small and ******).
  15. macrumors 68020

May 9, 2008
    So you want:

Slower processor (clock speed doesn't matter as much these days)
    Less RAM
    Worse graphics by far
    Incompatible with most Mac software
    Incompatible with Boot Camp
    Same price

Apple would have to reprogram OS X to run on the Ax SOC and 3rd party devs would have to do the same. Unless you want to emulate...

Come again?
  16. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Really? I think Lenovo made the best netbooks. The design wasn't fugly as Dell or HP and the build quality wasn't as cheap as Acer or Asus.

Exactly. If you make the battery bigger (which is what the "slice" battery is), you'll get more juice out of it. That's nothing new.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    ...and this ends the discussion...
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2010
    No. IBM used to make the PowerPC chips that powered older macs. Some years before that, Motorolla used to make the chips.

I would gladly take a 1.2GHz Sandy Bridge than any A6 or whatever at 2.4GHz.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2006
    Correct but PowerPC was created by the Apple–IBM–Motorola (AIM) alliance in 1991. (Sorry off topic, I know!)

Anyhoo, ARM processors (such as the A6 or whatever) won't be replacing Intel ones in PCs anytime soon. They are designed for different types of device.
  20. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2010
    Eek, not another architecture change. I'd rather they just stick with x86 in the Macs, ARM is for the istuff
  21. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey, I'm talking about the budget Lenovo ones we have at school that I guess cost about $300. Thats what I was describing. However I'm sure Lenovo's higher end netbooks are a lot more powerful, advanced and expensive...
  22. Guest

This thread brings back memories about all those "I want my G5 PowerBook now!!!" threads. I don't ever want to go down that road again.

Knowing that Apple is working with Intel, and looking at Intel's roadmap - I say we're all better off.
  23. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2005
    You probably used the S10, or the 12in S12. Unless they are using the new Thinkpad X120e uses the AMD fusion cpu for about $400, which blows away the Atom cpu away.
  24. macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    Well considering Apple had OS X programed for x86 since the beginning, I'm sure they have it compiled and working to some extent at least just as an option incase they were to need to switch. That said at this point in time I agree with you that Apple has nothing to gain and it would result in worse computers.
  25. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah it is this one except black: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4620