What if God saves everyone? Any (Christian) Universalists here?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tobefirst, Apr 17, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Short story: a year ago I was listening to my priest give the sermon at Mass, and the question he posed during the sermon was that perhaps we don't even need to be baptised to go to heaven. This got me thinking about heaven and hell and who will reside where and just what the requirements are for going one place or the other.

Fast forward to today where I've finished reading "If Grace is True," by Philip Gulley and James Mulholland, and am halfway through their "sequel" to that book, "If God is Love."

I must say that my experience and understanding of God, and what I envision Him to be like, and what He has taught me, is leading me to believe that He will save everyone...that no one is outside of God's infinite Love and Grace.

I'm curious as to what the rest of Mac Rumors thinks about (Christian) Universalism.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Why shouldn't God save all of humanity - whether we are Christian, Muslim, or < name your favourite religion here>.

IMO, there is ONE God, but Man has created different views of that God, sadly.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Don't let that get out. If people found out they were gonna get into heaven even if they didn't send their weekly $20 in to their favorite televangelist, religions would go out of business.;)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think it's pretty sad if you believe in a religion which condemns people who do not follow said religion. How narrow-minded is that? "I'm right, you're all wrong and you're going to Hell because of it". Yeah, sounds like you have a real loving God there... "Believe in me or else!" :rolleyes:

I prefer to believe that God judges a person based on the content of their character, not what type of building (if any) they visit every Sunday. :cool:

6. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think you're halfway there, ~Shard~, and that's totally cool and perfectly acceptable. Believe what you'd like to believe.

I am leaning towards (if not already there) believing that God will choose to save every person...that God's Love and Grace will overcome even the faults in our character/the choices we make here on earth.

I have a very hard time believing, and I believe you would agree (and I think Stella, too), that Ghandi wouldn't be allowed into heaven just because he didn't accept Jesus Christ as his personal savior.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wish religions would believe that....but if you want my opinion, god is just some imaginary character for adults to believe in when they're too old for the boogeyman or tooth fairy, and when we die, that's that. We don't go anywhere except into a hole in the ground.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It, along with every other self serving religion (yes, that's all of them) is a complete farce. Don't get me started! :eek: :D

9. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Believe me, I'm well aware of the religious views of the forum as a whole. :) I was hoping that there might be a little bit more discussion on the merits of the topic, but if not...ah well.

I'll still see you in heaven, edesign. :)

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

My favourite religiose joke *Take it with a grain of salt, it's a joke*

A christian person arrives at the gates of heaven and St.Peter says:
    "Welcome to heaven, please go down the hall to room #12, but be very quite when passing door #8"

Next a muslim person arrives and St.Peter says:
    "Welcome to heaven, please go down the hall to room #10, but be very quite when passing door #8"

Finally a jewish person arrives and St.Peter says:
    "Welcome to heaven, please go down the hall to room #21, but be very quite when passing door #8"

The jewish person than ask:
    "I understand having different rooms for different religions, but why do we have to be quite when passing door #8?"
    To which St.Peter replies:
    "That's where the catholics are, they think they are the only ones here"

11. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Why wouldn't He? Oh right... the "older" books... I say throw them away, they're useless. Jesus pretty much refuted half of them.

**edit: please read clarification and apology below (#20)

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The discussion isn't ended, I'm just saying my bit, that's all. For me religion has very little merit, so any conversation about it will be short. Not to say that others won't be more than happy to go in to it further.

There are millions, hell, billions of religious people in the world, some of them must be here!

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's pretty much what I believe...though I would take out the gender references.

Read some Desmond Tutu - specifically God Has A Dream. He goes along those lines as well.

14. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I considered removing the gender references, but since that is how I address Him, and it's my thread, I left 'em in. :) I'm not saying whether God is a male or a female, and honestly, couldn't care less...it's more of habit than anything. :)

Thanks for the reading material. I'll have to put it on my list of things to read. If I get around to it, I'm PM you and let you know what I think. Thanks a lot!

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

uhhh... ghandi didn't believe in your heaven.

16. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

um, is this supposed to be anti semetic? it sure sounds like it. sorry if i'm wrong. G-d/Muhammed/Buddha/Jesus/[whoever you believe in]/science will save everyone. as said in other threads, im a hippie who loves everyone.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Seems to me that it's just an attempt at a back-door takeover, like the Mormons. I don't want to be part of a club that would accept me as a member, much less one which would enrol me without my knowledge. I'll make my own choices.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Save everyone.....from what?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And deliver them to what? Do we get to choose our destination?

20. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

No, I'm not anti-semitic. I'm actually an atheist (who respects all religions), but as a former catholic I can't really understand where a lot of christians/catholics got the idea that their God only cares about them, when Jesus preached love for ALL mankind.
    As an atheist, I'm not very fond of the old testament's doctrine (all the parts about the vengeful God, hating homosexuals and such), but I still find the new testament quite useful (Love, etc.). What I meant with my post is that I believe Christians/catholics should focus on the most important part of their religion: Love, and thus they wouldn't need to make sense of the hundreds of cryptic documents on the rest of the Bible.
    I'm now aware that I basically attacked (uncounsiously) the foundations of Judaism and for that, I apologize. But I didn't mean it that way.

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's a great religious club for those who don't actually want to be religious.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Methinks you're specifically thinking of Unitarian Universalists, not the (Christian) Universalists the OP was referring to. The Unitarian Universalists' beliefs appear closest to the viewpoint Stella espoused earlier in the thread.

B

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

Make the distinction if you wish, but it's blasphemy all the same.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain.''

''Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. ''

''I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong."

All John Lennon Quotes, i have say he got it right. I have to belief in the last qoutes is the most true of all.

25. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Well, typical Christian theology says that Jesus came to save people from hell, to redeem them from their sins...

...and to deliver them to heaven.

However, typical Christian theology says that through Jesus (i.e. you must believe in him and follow him), together with the grace of God, that this will happen.