What if i lose everything again?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by scibry, Jun 15, 2006.

1. scibry macrumors member

Apr 5, 2004
    My music collection was lost beyond recovery even with multiple backups. I now use SuperDuper! and I have it on DVD-R but the idea of digital music collections to me is now linked to fragility. Beware, it's corruptable on any medium :(
  2. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    The trick is just to make sure that you have multiple backups on different physical storage devices. I have my iTunes collection backed up by having it on 2 iPods and a nightly backup to an external Hard Drive.

The chances of all 3 failing simultaneously are practically zero, so no matter what happens, I can always re-establish the original data and replace the failed device.

Of course to be totally foolproof you would need to have a backup in a seperate physical location, but it's not very practical for most
  3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

How'd you lose it all?

I back everything up to DVD-R's (130 gig library = a lot of DVD's)

I just throw em in a dvd book, and put them away, all discs burned twice of course, and stored in seperate places.

also, I created a smart playlist in iTunes, to keep track of everything I add after a certain date, so I can backup to discs easily..
  4. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I'd go nuts if I lost it all. I've been adding so much lately. Organising, tagging, album art etc.

You had multiple back ups yet all of it was lost? :eek:

*runs back up schedule*