What if the NSA can tap into the 5S for fingerprints even if you turn the sensor off?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by user-name-here, Sep 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

What if Apple complied with the NSA in the name of national security and wrote into iOS 7 that, even if you turn off the sensor in the settings, the phone still takes your fingerprints anytime you press the home button and the NSA can access them wirelessly anytime they want? :eek:

p.s. I personally don't fear this, just wanted to give the tin-foil hat types something to think about ;)

2. macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Then I'll just press the home button with my finger nail.

3. macrumors 6502

But how do you know?
    And what gives someone confidence that NSA does not do this?

4. macrumors 65816

I don't think anyone should have any doubt that Apple will do what's best for consumers in the grand scheme of things.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

You mean like how Apple did what's "best" for the consumer on Oct 2012?

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 68040

Giuly

Get a (biometric) passport. Problem solved.

7. macrumors 65816

You don't know how Apple participated. I have every confidence they struck the right balance after taking years longer than everyone else to participate in the program.

8. macrumors regular

Start wearing gloves. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors regular

what could the NSA do with your print?:eek:

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

iCloud came out in 2011, Apple folded 1 year later. Doesn't seem long to me :p

11. macrumors 65816

There was mobile me before it. Stop scaremongering.

12. macrumors member

wt da hell ! they now have all the freaking data on us ! and v dont have any control nor say over our own data,

what ever you do you cant stop them !! this is real life not a movie and you are not jason bourne !

13. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Who cares if they collect your finger prints?

If you have nothing to hide, surely there isn't a problem?

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

iCloud is free. MobileMe costed $99/year and probably had less than 1% of the amount of clients that iCloud does. Once Apple came out with iCloud and had an ocean of data then the NSA turned their attention towards them and got them to comply a year later.

I made the thread to alert those that might care about privacy and fingerprinting, even though I personally don't. if you would rather not think about such things though that's fine there are many other threads you can join besides this one.

I agree, I personally have nothing to hide, but many others would disagree.

15. macrumors newbie

Because it's a gross violation of our rights? Under that logic, what's the problem with police having a master key to every home and having carte blanche to just snoop around your house without a warrant while you're asleep or at work? Maybe even install cameras in every room? After all, why worry if you have nothing to hide?

16. macrumors member

I don't care if they collect or not but
    - the question is why they want to see what we hide ?
    - are they hiding anything from us ?
    - are they afraid that we might someday know what they were hiding ?

17. macrumors member

btw are you saying that you have nothing to hide ? so u r a 100% law abiding citizen in life you haven't done anything wrong ? :eek:

another thing r u human ?

18. macrumors member

As much as I agree that the NSA are something abhorrent..

It's a finger print. The most they could do with the hash data they'd retrieve is maybe recompile it and forge a finger painting in my name.

19. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Big deal, are you a criminal or something :D , the NSA can take your fingerprint so easy...

20. macrumors 6502a

wow, paranoid people should not own anything electonic at all. Go live in a dark cave in the middle of nowhere - that will save you from the NSA. Sigh

21. macrumors 6502a

You know when you are born in the US you are fingerprinted right?

22. macrumors 6502

The Gov't already has my Finger prints so IDGAF...

23. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Having a database of everyones of fingerprints could potentially help solve crime etc. The fingerprints from a crime scene could be cross referenced against the fingerprints collected from the sensors and there you go, they potentially know who the criminal is.

But you don't want this, because you're worried about your privacy rights? I'd rather a database be held of our fingerprints which can potentially solve crimes much quicker, than not have this but feel violated. I honestly don't know why anyone would feel violated. Unless of course you have something to hide.

Yes, I can say that I'm a 100% law abiding citizen. And even if I wasn't, nothing I would have done would be serious enough for the authorities to require my fingerprints.

24. macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Oh my God, the Feds might get my fingerprint several dozen times a day!!! :eek:

...Seriously, what? How would this be anything worth the NSA's time?

People find the silliest things to fret about.

25. macrumors 6502

Lol yeah anyone who doesn't want people listening to their phone calls, reading their text and emails, etc etc must be criminals as well. The Gov't has my fingerprints and I haven't broken any laws, btw.

I don't care what cheesy reasons you give, you can only start to take serious measures on someone like storing their fingerprints, calls emails etc. AFTER they have done a crime serious enough to deserve such sinister monitoring. But ANY type of monitoring to someone who hasn't ever committed a serious crime, is in and of itself, a serious crime.