What if there were no iTMS?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amin, Oct 4, 2005.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Would you be any less likely to make an iPod your next music player?

I would not. The bulk of my music still comes from ripping CDs and other non-iTMS music sources to iTunes.

Clearly the iTMS is an integral part of Apple's success with the iPod. Now that millions realize how great the iPod and iTunes are, does Apple still need the iTMS to remain dominant for the iPod to remain successful? Probably so, but I was just wondering.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have about ~300 tracks from the music store, and about 40 in my shopping cart waiting to be bought, without the music store iPod sales would start to drop, i know my sister and her bf use it a lot just like me too. its now and integral part of the iPod experience in my opinion.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I disagree. I admit I haven't purchased a physical CD since the inception of the iTMS, but if it were to go away I would still want and use an iPod. I would just be forced to buy CD's again and I would burn them to my iPod like before. I couldn't get through my hour-long daily commute without my iPod, iTMS or not. There are also many countries in which the iTMS is not yet available (i.e. Australia) and iPods are just as popular there as anywhere else.

4. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Why would you have to buy CDs? You could use any number of other online music services and import the music into iTunes and you iPod. This would still be very convenient, no?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not if the DRM wouldn't work with the iPod/iTunes

the iTMS makes it soo easy for people to download anything on a whim, thats where it is deadly in my opinion.

6. Lau Guest

<looks around nervously> I've never bought anything from the iTMS. <runs away>

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

if there was no iTMS, then, where would I find all these fabulous podcasts that I have that are taking up so much space? :p

I still like buying CD's. I like supporting the designers who go out of their way to create all the packaging for such killer bands like Schoolyard Heros and such.

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I still mainly buy CD's so it wouldn't impact me all that much. I think most other people do too.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course I would use an iPod...the iTMS integration is a fantastic feature, but the iPod style and innovation are enough to make it the choice for me even if I was just ripping my CDs to MP3 (which is close to the truth...less than 1% of my library is purchased through iTMS).

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, because I don't buy digital music, anyway. I only buy CDs, which I then rip and use on my various devices (Windows Media Center PC, iPods, etc.).

11. dcv macrumors G3

I've never purchased any iTunes either. (do i have to run away too?)

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had an iPod before there was an iTMS in the UK so I guess that answers the question.

Now if there was no iTunes, and you were having to use any old media jukebox app to store your music, then you might have a chance at making me consider a non-iPod. The only ones of my friends who don't have iPods are the ones who spent lots of time putting their songs into WMA on Windows... and now don't want to transfer them.

13. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    If there was no iTMS, I would still get all of the music i want and yes i'd still buy iPods. For looks, for being the first, supporting future designs, their function, and because all other large mp3 players are posers that are trying to catch up, when one surpasses then i will change, I'm loyal, but i'm not stupid.

After reading the post above mine, yea i had an iPod before there was an iTMS.

14. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

The news about the music industry potentially dropping iTMS relations if fixed pricing remains in effect prompted me to think about the issue of whether the iTMS is critical to iPod success. Podcasts are really a separate issue since they would not be affected by a loss of relations with Time Warner and others.

One thing I'm pretty confident of is that in the short term the music industry doesn't need Apple. The question is, does Apple need the music industry?

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Apple needs them now that the music store has been around for so long and many people will be upset if it is closed. but i dont think it will come down to that, but people will still be gobbling up iPods reguardless, it just wouldn't look good for Apple

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I used iTunes long before i got an iPod, and the iPod more than a year before iTMS Norway was launched, and I've only bought 8 songs from iTMS in the half a year it's been available.

Just to state the obvious: iTMS means next to nothing to me... ;)

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, yes, stop wagging the fact that it's legal to borrow music from the library and rip it into your iTunes where you live but not where I live in my face, Mitthrawnuruodo. :p ;) :D

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I didn't say that...

....this time... :D

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

YES GO BUY 10000 songs from iTunes

YOu know what woudl rock to have like all the music liek from iTunes for free!!

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm in Australia so iTMS has nothing to do with me purchasing iPods ;)

21. aspro macrumors 6502

ditto here.

22. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

My sentiments exactly, people by ipods becasue they just work, not because of the music store, australia is a perfect example most people do not know that there is a music store at all or there could be one but ipods still sell well, i would love to see the sales figures on ipods in australia.

23. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

I'm also in Australia. I have my iPod mini with songs ripped from CDs (even though its technically illegal here because of how stupid the laws are here). I would love the iTMS to come here to Australia though.

24. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

A better question would have been "If there was no iTunes would you still buy an iPod?" .. because I remember loving SoundJam to death, but once iTunes came out and had the library, and the way it had the listing set up on the left side, I just went 'wow, I can't believe how great this is". Then in 2001 I got the first iPod, and plugged it into my G3 and watched all my music load into it in 5 or so minutes, and went 'wow, this is so much better then burner CDs' (at the time I had a 4x2x2 usb burner). I've never bought a song off of iTMS, so it really isn't an issue to me.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree with rickvanr. It's iTunes that makes the system work so well, not the iTMS nor the iPod per se. I bought an iBook first and then an iPod to see what all the fuss is about.

Oh yeah, and chuck me in with the other Aussies who are still all patiently awaiting the local iTMS like a killer duck, waiting for its prey in the rushes.