What if you die?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What if you die? What if something happens to you, like if you get into an accident? How would the members of MacRumors ever know about it?

Is this what it's like when you make online friends who only really exist in the world of 1s and 0s? :confused: I mean, are people....even people who you're chummy with online...... allowed to walk in and out of your life with no explanation or consequences to your relationship with that person? After all, not as much is expected from online friends.

Crazy new world we live in (and I'm only 25).

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A few people on here might notice that I stop posting but I think MR would continue as normal.

I did here about people setting up a dead man's switch for forums they post on a lot. Basically if they don't post/click a button/whatever in a week/month then it automatically posts an "I'm Dead" thread!

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Presumably then all the "I'm dead" identities could post on each others' threads, and provide some level of continuity ... a virtual Limbo.

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and if that was set up already, then a fellow Canadian MR member has been dead for awhile...oh yeah!!

Dead or busy? Dead? Busy? Switched over to Windows?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mmm... An "I'm Dead" Eliza botnet. Time to start coding! :D

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

In the event something were to happen, nobody would know about it on MR and that is to be expected. It could be different in situations where friendships had been formed and nurtured with the involved parties having regular exchanges of e-mail that resulted in them getting to know each other in a more meaningful way.

I had some expectations that a few decent friendships would form after becoming a member, but that has not materialized. There are some individuals posters that I respect a great deal, but the reality for me has been that posting here is a very casual experience quite similar to ships passing in the night. It has its positive moments mixed in with periods of frustration ... in other words, it mimics the real world but with less personal interaction.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've been in a few communities where someone has died and their significant other or kids have posted a message to let people know. Or another person on the forum/mailing list knew them in real life and has let everyone else know.

I guess it depends how technologically literate the 'inheritor' of the computer is. If they think to send a mail out to the people in the address book that don't already know, then I guess people might find out. If not, then they'd probably just wonder.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've got to say, I'm disappointed you'd all let a little thing like death get in the way of you posting... :rolleyes:

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

10. iGary Guest

iGary

If I died it would be on the front page of most papers, so yeah, that's how you would find out. :cool: :eek:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, I think about this sometimes. I have friends here, but they're not friends with my friends out there, who all live in different places, because none of my old friends visit me here in Gainesville (I have to go visit them where they are, because they don't want to come here), if for no other reason. And my parents don't keep track of my friends. I don't even know how my IRL closest friends would find out if something bad happened to me. :(

12. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"And in today's news, a man has been found dead at the scene of what appears to be a massive orgy involving men, women, slices of bacon, German tourists, and a merry-go-round." :eek:

13. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've sometimes seen in forums posts along the lines of "I'm his daughter/wife/son/etc, he passed away yesterday". I suppose it depends on how much people know about you and if you save your passwords on the computer!

There are a number of more important things to settle first than online forums though, IMO.

AppleMatt (very much alive)

14. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

You forgot to mention in a bathroom with large amounts of duct tape!! :eek: :D

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

His last words were said to have been, don't stop!

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I often think about this too.

I have told a few close friends if something ever happened to me, to go in my bedroom, get out my little memo book with my usernames and passwords to sites/forums, and post something saying I wouldn't be posting anymore. :eek:

I think that would work.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

honestly, for these forums at least, i think someone in my family would take care of notifying you all. at least i would hope so. but if it didn't happen, it didn't. thats the way of things i suppose.

hopefully i have a good amount of time left and don't have to worry about this anytime soon.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This is a privately run forum, what happens if the owner goes on to the great beyond? Do we all get intombed with him/her?

I will probably leave for a few months after this weekend of posting, really only bothered to return after a phone conversation with ClayJ. If anyone had really wanted to know of my possible demise, then they could have sent me a pm, and a notice would show up on my email that I have a pm at MR.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well at least in my case i doubt any person would post anything since i'm one of those "i don't have to bookmark sites i visit daily since i can remember the URLs" internet users

that aside i have passwords on my pc accounts anyway

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The question is if anyone would care...it sounds harsh but really? i know i would feel rather bad and maybe give MR a rest for a few days....Hope everyone would stay healthy and strong...God Bless everyone here

Bless

22. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I hate to break it to you but it's not "what if," but rather "when."

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I doubt anybody would notice or care. It really is an interesting question though.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

No really, I saw it on the news, they said that if you exercised regularly you could reduce your chance of death by 20%. So me and 4 friends started exercising. One of us is going to live forever....

25. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i dont know if anyone of you knew this, but someone on gamefaqs committed suicide and posted his suicide note on the board before offing himself. when i visited that day, mgs2 boards were up on the top 10 FAQ boards page... i was surprised because mgs2 is an old game, but that was the board he posted his last message on.