What if...?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chaszmyr, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

What if Steve Jobs were to retire? Would Apple still be the company it is today? Would you still like Apple? We all know what it was like after he got fired, afterall.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I would still like Apple.

The difference between if he was out tomorrow than when he was last outsted, is that these days, there is no hostile environment within Apple. There are enough people working there right now with the right vision of what Apple should be in their heads. That, and they don't have Sculley to run them into the ground again. I think someone like Phil Schiller would take over. As far as design and innovation, they have Jonathan Ives, and I'm sure many more people. Apple isn't just one person anymore. Jobs has seemed to split up his personality into many different people all over Apple, spreading his ideas, and his Reality Distortion Field. Although Jobs is what makes Apple Apple, I believe they can go on without him right now. I don't think the public and investors would like it, and the Apple crew would have to prove themselves, but I think they could do it. I don't think Jobs will be leaving anytime soon, though, and when he does decide to leave, I'm sure he'll be sure to have the prefect replacement handy to take over. (we don't want any of that silly monkeyboy crap that they have in Redmond...)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: What if...?

no change...i have always loved apple and always will

4. Will Jones macrumors member

The entire planet would abruptly, yet magnificently spontaneously combust, resulting in the long-awaited demise of human kind. :D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...I'd be willing to bet that will NEVER happen...

Stevie is way too much of a zealot to back down...

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, think he will be around for the long haul!

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Steve leave? He didn't choose to do so the first time when he departed. Of course there will come a time when he won't be able to keep on working as much as he does now, but he could give up being CEO at Pixar to lighten the load.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

pixar is where he earns his money

if anything, sj would eventually give up apple

9. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Between Apple without Steve and Microsoft with Bill I would take Apple any day.

11. Will Jones macrumors member

So what your saying is Apple doesn't really need Jobs?

12. Will Jones macrumors member

Or is what you saying just another anti-Microsoft - 'I wouldn't turn to MS no matter what' kind of thing?

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

A little of both actually. I would use the MacOS or Linux over Windows anyday and even though I'm not a zealot I just don't feel like spending money on MS products when there are alternative I am more comfortable with. And yes, Apple probably would not be that bad without Jobs since there is not as much threat of another Amelio as there was in the 80's/90's.

14. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hopefully they wouldnt go back to beige boxes :eek:

15. Gringo macrumors newbie

Apple computers I like... Jobs has the brilliance and the vision... But if you look back, who actually did creat the APPLE Difference?? not Jobs... but Wozniak (not sure if that's how you right the name). After The Woz left, Apple did ok right...????

When Jobs go fired latter on, Woz wasn't there to back up the brialliance, plus there was no one like them inside Apple at the time. I concure that in those days, Jobs was a unic person in Apple as The Woz, but today, Apple kinda atracted a lot of Jobs and Woz's to the show so I belive that apple would continue to break new grounds... Ives has!!

G.-