What infuriates you about your Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by syniac, Sep 22, 2004.

1. syniac macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2004
    This could be an interesting thread.

Question: What infuriates you about your Mac?

(Because we have too many "Avaunt, evil Windows user! Nothing goes wrong with a Mac. Ever. Really." situations.)

However, it doesn't just have to be "X OS does this more easily than OS X (or 9…)" - you are entitled to think of your own most-wanted features :). You can complain about things common to all computers, too.

For me? It's the indicator lights, which shine all night (sleep & power charger on iBook, not to mention peripherals), without any option anywhere to turn them off. Apple needs to include a v. detailed 'how to carefully arrange blankets over screen' guide with each new computer purchase.
  2. coconn06 macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2003
    King of Prussia, PA
    Nothing major annoys me about my Mac, which is probably why I like them so much. The only thing would have to be it's too slow, but that's only because it's a 3 year old, 500 MHz G3 iBook :p
  3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    I had to smile about this part as it is the only thing that gets on my nerves. Only at night though, during the day I love to see whether it is charging or not and whether it's in sleep mode. During the night it's: Which clothes cover it best. :D
  4. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    The two things I don't like about Mac are:
    1. shortage of games
    2. they are expensive
  5. belair macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Got to agree about the price.
    And I know that they are good value and worth it and eveything.

When I get the beachball of death when I put it trough paces. When I am working on a file thats like 50 meg and I go from one app to the other it gives me the beachball. I got a G5 2.0 with 1.5 gig of ram, guess it needs some more ram.

speaking of wich I really think the beachball is ugly, i preferred the old watch.

Other than that, this mac has been nothing but a bliss to me and improved my life quality by a lot. ;)
  6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I would like to have some sort of hard disk activity light so I could check disk access easily without a software app.
  7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    The boot-up time.

Really lame, but off the top of my head it's the biggest complaint I have.
  8. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I really don't have too many complaints. I can do pretty much anything that I want with it.
  9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Which CAD software do you use? I recall some engineers where I used to work used a system on Solaris, and for the life of me, I can't recall the name. Ultra-something? Geez, this is going to drive me nuts.
  10. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004

Lack of indicator lights, as posted earlier, for HD activity. I mean, the sleep light could double - it couldn't be that hard.

Price is a non-issue really, to me anyway; everything's so damn expensive here anyway, so why not just go for it...

I don't really like the fact that Apple update far too infrequently, and seem unconcerned with keeping up with the Jones' (or the Intels). A speedbump of 33MHz or so as soon as it's out of the door would shut up a whole lot of x86 users. Finally, I don't like the way the iApps on my Powerbook are totally un-customizable. I want to have my own menu items in iPhoto already!
  11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I have a couple problems, but price is my biggest. I can build a top of the line gamming pc for under $1000. A low end g5 power mac is double that.
  12. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I don't like the way my option key fell off a month or so ago, but I guess after almost four years using my TiBook with no incidents, that's a pretty good record.

Also, I wish you could permanently select the "send windows friendly attachments" box in Mail, 'cause, see, most people use windows.

I wish more Web sites were Safari-friendly.

Also, this thing is getting kinda slow. But I guess that's really my fault for being too cheap to upgrade.
  13. acceber macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    1. Price - it's quality but expensive.

2. Games - the Mac versions don't exist and/or they come out much later than the PC version and/or they are priced higher than their PC counterparts.
  14. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Erm, I don't know what's wrong with your Mail.app, but that's the way it's set for me. Mail -> Edit -> Attachments -> "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments".
  15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    The UI sucks. I mean, shouldn't it know when I want to use the computer and wake from sleep without me having to actually do something? Or know which file or application I'm going to need next and launch it for me? Or tell me to stop shaking my leg and go pee already?
  16. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    The crappy, weak-ass wireless reception: I've got a TiBook too. Hey, let's put the wireless antenna inside a shielded metal enclosure! Yeah, that's a great idea!

Seriously...I've an older house, with plastered walls, and I sometimes can't get enough signal in the room NEXT TO the one the base station's in for Mail and Safari to work. In fact the only reason I have broadband at all is because I couldn't get enough signal through the common wall to continue using my neighbor's connection (which he was generously letting me plug my base station into).

If there was one thing I could improve in the TiBook, that'd be it.
  17. crenz macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    The "sleeping light" sometimes can be a bit of a nuisance, but is still okay. I'm glad I have an indicator that the computer is actually sleeping.

I'm annoyed that my PB will reliably freeze when doing multi-GB transfers to my FireWire HDD, and I'm annoyed that Mac OS X remembers that you filled up your hard drive once -- I'm still suffering from the consequences sometimes. I'm also annoyed that Mac OS X apps can develop the same weird habits as Windows apps. For example, iView MediaPro will crash sometimes on a certain catalog. Reaktor reliably crashes every time I use a certain sound device, but only since a month or so. *sigh*

Once Tiger is here, I'll do a clean install.
  18. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Wow! Now I have no problems with my mac. Except that's the stupidest place ever for that menu item. Why not in "preferences"?
  19. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    VectorWorks runs on Macs. It opens and saves in .dwg format, so you can converse with your fellow ACad users.

For me the most annoying thing about my TiBook is that the battery doesn't hold a charge like it used to. I'll have to get a new one sooner or later I suppose, but that's not the end of the world.

The pulsating light doesn't bother me, but I also don't sleep in the same room as my laptop.

Oh and the fact that I'm stuck with a BT dongle, not built in. Sure would like to have someone come out with a WiFi 'G' card with built in BT that would replace my old Airport card. Not bloody likely though.
  20. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    The fact that when I ordered my powerbook I failed to realize the backlit keyboard on the base model is bto. :mad: every time someone mentions how nice their backlit keyboard is I get a little ticked at myself.

other than that, it's way better than my old set up so no real complaints.
  21. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Still unresolved. :mad:

Took it to the Apple Store, and of course it wouldn't act up there, so he reset my PMU, but it's still doing it!
  22. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004

Honestly, my only major peeve is that I miss the Classic ability to just drag everything from my hard drive to my a folder in an external hard drive (or to a Toast window) to back it up and know that EVERYTHING, including applications and preferences, would be backed up with it.

And if a problem ever happened, I'd be able to pull out my backup and would know what every single file in the backup was and what I needed to put where to move on.

I know, I know. Unix is more stable. But what are all these thousands of mysterious files on my machine, and why do I not have permission to back up most of them? Grrrrrrrrrr!

Thank the gods that Carbon Copy Cloner at least gets me close. Though I still boot up in OS9 every now and then to do a good straight backup.
  23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm annoyed that, after all these years of Mac OS X, it's still extremely rough in places such as hardware support. There are even strange things when dealing with Apple-only systems.

It's also annoying the way Apple treats outside developers so we end up with software that has to be modified for every point release of the operating system.

Networking still isn't right with Panther. I had better luck with 10.3.4 than 10.3.3 or 10.3.5. I've heard that other people are better off with 10.3.5, though.

They should be at a point where they're coordinating safe releases so my Mac works like a Mac. The hardware is fine--give me an operating system that doesn't make me jump through hoops like that other thing.
  24. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    That my IM info and address book pictures won't sync with my Zire72!!!! Comeon, we need a new iSync Conduit!!!!

That and inserting cables into my closed[\b] lid PB wakes it up. I wished that closing the lid hardlocks the peripherials so that unhooking them or hooking them up won't awaken the PB. If you want to run it in closed lid mode, there could be an option in the preferences to turn off "hard-locked" mode. 10.3.5 has been better with USB, but the powercable wakes up my PB. Very bad since I wait for it to sleep before movin my PB around.