What instant messenger do you use?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I use msn messenger since most of the people i know use it, i like using iChat but i only know 3 people using it and they are never on :(

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i use MSN Messenger but will AdiumX do Msn clients ??

4. unfaded macrumors 6502

MSN, AIM/ICQ, Yahoo... and more.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

WOW i never heard of it before !! just goes to show ya

?? is there a thread on here for the newB's telling them what programs they need to run on there new Mac's ?

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

good grief... how often are we gonna post this question? its like every three months...

adium x is the best. end of discussion

8. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I like Adium, but both times I've attempted to switch to it, it's erased some of my server-side contacts. I think this happens when I try to create meta-contacts (combining the same person across multiple networks to one name).. so although I like it, I won't use it.

Mainly MSN for me, also use iChat for my ICQ contacts. Can't wait for MSN 5..

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ichat with an aim account usually, although i miss audio chat with windows users. i tried switching to adium, but i just don't like the interface, and i cant figure out how to move the buddy list from the center of the screen. plus i love the bubbles in ichat ^-^

10. brandon6684 Guest

For Aim, I use iChat, for everything else, Adium, which is basically Gaim with a cocoa interface.

11. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nice post eduk :D Worthy of your post count :p

If it wouldn't crash as much on me, had decent proxy support and better file sharing capabilities, not to mention audio/video support it would actually be quite usable but unfortunately it is not. :(

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

So it's kinda like Trillian? (Windows-only)

13. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I'll second (or third, or fourth, or fifth... whatever) adiumX. None of the deleting/crashing problems for me, so it's wonderful. It's customizable and supports everything except IRC (which it might after a few more upgrades).

14. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Yes its like Trillian, but has a much more customizable GUI.
    Great app.

cheers

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The main problem i see with Adium (although i still use it) is the file sharing. I can't transfer files to/from anyone using the offical AIM client. Also, direct connections don't work. (And I know its not my firewall, I have DMZ setup to my computer).

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Filetransfer is being updated in the latest version of Adium and on 0.8 SVN that I'm running they have a nice GUI for it with a progress bar. On AIM I get very high speeds.

17. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Adium

Adium is also my favorite by a long shot. Keep in mind that its constantly being updated and improved and if you have any questions or problems the help forums are very active. I only use it for AIM, but being able to fully customize and integrate the whole application is amazing. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot :)

18. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Adium X, unless a friend has a camera for iChat use. But iChat kinda sucks.

19. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I used to have ICQ and used Fire...

but at a certain point, I decided I wanted to use iChat because of its integration with the Os... so I convinced all my buddies except one to register an Aim-account (they use Trillian on PC, a few the IM that comes with SUSE linux, one is saving up for a Mac Mini)

I'm AIM only now, so iChat is all I use...

vSpacken

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

iChat user here too. All my buddies use AIM, and I don't know anyone who uses Yahoo or MSN.

21. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

22. iBunny macrumors 65816

Since I have read this thread, I have totally converted to Adium :)

And it totally rules

23. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

iChat (AOL IM) on the Mac, Trillian basic (AOL IM) on the PC.

I'm forced to use MSN Messenger at work. (Internal messenger service)

24. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Adium X. It is a very polished app, and operates like a Mac app should. Although I just downloaded and tried Mercury Messenger tonight, and although I'm really impressed that they've got a lot of MSN 7 features (winks, nudges, painting, some games and webcam soon) it is just... ugly. I can't deal with it. When they add webcam, I'll probably end up using Adium X for chatting, and Mercury for webcam, until Adium catches up with their own webcam features. I wish I could use iChat, but I have no AIM friends... Oh, and I use Skype every once a week or so too. Can't wait to see what Skype is cooking up for video and voicemail. Hopefully the Mac version comes out simultaneously and looks as nice as iChat.

25. drsuse macrumors member

aMSN (amsn.sourceforge.net) - everybody i know uses MSN, and alvaro's messenger blows the official msn client for os x out of the water based on features. it even integrates some new features supported by msn 7.0 beta for windows. interface isn't amazingly attractive, though, but i'd rather have the functionality.

i tried adium for a while, and i liked it, but since i only use one IM service, i'm happier with a one-client program that does things really well.

edit: after seeing post above mine, i might give mercury a trial run.