what internet provider have you used?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by IllTakeAnApple, Jul 25, 2005.

1. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

The guys from time warner are suppose to come and install road runner today! Im psyced but im pretty sure ill be getting a laptop here soon and am wondering if it is compatible with macs? My called and told me she heard on the radio that they do not. If this is true it will be devistating and ill have to look for a a good internet services. So im just curious which internet providers everyone here at MR uses?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Any cable ISP with an ethernet modem is generally Mac compatible. Road Runner is definitely compatible with anything if you use the ethernet from the modem instead of USB. USB requires drivers, which usually are Windows only.

I have RR, it's awesome!

3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'll second that!! And I haven't had any problems connecting it to my Mac. They don't provide a free virus scanner if you have a Mac. (Like you'd need it anyway)

4. IllTakeAnApple thread starter macrumors member

yeah when i went onto their site today it noted that the virus software was not avaliable for the macintosh. im sure there wont be a prob. im really excited to finally get highspeed!

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Cool. Make sure when they come over that you tell them you don't want them to install ANYTHING on your computers. Just get the mail servers and your username/password from them. They'll just make you go to activation.rr.com, it's simple.

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I've used Earthlink or quite some time now (8+ years) and have been very happy with their Mac support. I'm getting itchy to switch though as Earthlink leases their DSL lines from local phone companies who are now undercutting Earthlink's cost. Part of me though would almost rather hand over an extra $7-10 a month to Earthlink rather than give it to SBC and have to change all my email info.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I've used: Dreamscape, Verizon Dial-up, Verizon DSL, Road Runner, Road Runner Dial-up.

Don't get Verizon DSL.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I use Earthlink dial-up at my parents home. Other than that it is the schools ethernet or wire-less at the local coffee shops.

10. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I use RoadRunner, only complaint I have is that my modem is plugged into a wireless router downstairs and on the other side of the house, and the signal drops out/slows down the connection quite a bit. I've tried everything (repeaters, stronger antennas, etc) but nothing seems to work.

But when plugged directly into a Mac through Ethernet, its flawless. Just make sure to get a firewall if you have a Windows PC.

11. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

I have Cox and i have having issues with plugging it in to Mac however i think its router because it will work fine if i plug it in Router then it works fine...

SBC works to just fine...

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

SaskTel, the company I work for! One of the most impressive networks in all of North America. We're kind of spoiled up here... :cool:

13. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

- generic dial-up (can't remember the provider)
    - roadrunner high speed cable
    - comcast high speed cable

roadrunner was ok but comcast is better. comcast is a lttle pricey but the service and customer care is good.

14. king_leonidas macrumors member

king_leonidas

I live in a country who belongs to Europe,but in real life we belong in 3rd world countries. I have as isp the Forthnet(mac friendly of cource) and i have an adsl line 512 dl/128 up.The price? 96 euros a month. I know this is redicolous :mad:

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hahaha....I've been using Verizon DSL for YEARS now and they've been really good

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm in the same boat. Have used Earthlink DSL for years. I just recently was thinking about Verizon for the very same reason, lower cost and higher speed. Really hate to change because of the hassle of changing E.Mail address. I was paying $61 per month with tax. Verizon is $30 at 3.0. So I called Earthlink to complain, was told that I could get 3.0 and a lower price. The later in the day was told Verizon would not allow, so I'm stuck with 1.5. It seems that Verizon is the Microsoft of the telecommunications industry. So at least now I will pay $50 per month with tax. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Verizon. Prefer the reliability of Earthlink.