Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrahamW0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Hi I just switched from Comcast to Verizon. Verizon set up the MI424WR-GEN2 and I plugged my AirPort Extreme into it. Then I disabled the MI424WR-GEN2 radio so the wireless computers connect to the AirPort Extreme. This seems to work well and I get great coverage through out the house. My Mac Pro is connected to the MI424WR-GEN2 's second Lan Port. The Mac Pro is able to connect to the internet so I'm sure all the setting are right. The only problem is that I can't seem to connect the Mac Pro to my domain name. This is mainly because I have no clue what IP my domain name should connect to.

1 I read that I have to buy a public, static IP address from Verizon, is this true?
2 If it is true, how do I get one?
3 If it isn't, Which IP address do I connect to my domain name?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
1/2. No. A dynamic IP address will work, but you will need some service such as dyndns.org in the event your modem assigns you a new IP address.
3. Whatever IP your router is assigned. Notice that if you go to whatismyip.com from any computer on your network, they will all have the same IP. That's the IP you want to use.

The trick is you want to do this:
1. Have the IP of your Mac Pro manually assigned (this is the IP on your LAN, something like 192.168.1.101, 102, etc), for step 2.
2. Setup a DMZ on your router so that when you visit the IP address you see on whatismyip.com, you will be sent to your Mac Pro.
3. Setup a dynamic DNS service on your router or a client on your mac pro that sends updates out when your IP address assigned by verizon changes. Don't just point your domain to your IP address. Otherwise your domain will die every time it changes. Configure your domain/dns through dyndns or whatever provider you choose.

GrahamW0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Ok, I didn't know about setting up the DMZ but I found the setting and told it to point to 192.168.1.3 . After doing this, it still doesn't seem to work though. I've attached a screen shot of the setting to verify it's the right thing.
Also I've attached a photo of the MI424WR-GEN2 's DSN Server settings. Do I need to rename my computers IP to my Websites name? I've tried it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Just making sure...
Are there any other settings I should be aware of?

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    35.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 138

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Nah, the hostname is fine.
new-host-3, 192.168.1.3 is your mac pro, right? What happens if you try to visit http://192.168.1.3? Are you planning on running web pages on it, or something? If so, make sure web sharing is enabled in sys preferences.

GrahamW0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Yes, new-host-3 = 192.168.1.3 is the Mac Pro.
When I visit http://192.168.1.3 I get the Mac Pro web page, the same one as I would have got to, when I visited my domain name, when I had Comcast.

Yes web sharing is enabled in system preferences.

Yes I plan on having the Mac Pro, host my website.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
Okay, good. What happens when you try to visit your external IP address in your web browser? (The IP you see whatever when you go to whatismyip.com).

If you see your webpage, then everything with & behind your router is fine, but your domain isn't setup right.

GrahamW0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
When I visit the external IP address I get the Verizon router login screen. All the settings are correct on the Mac Pro and the domain name. I just need to figure out the setting for the router.

GrahamW0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
OMG!! thank you so much! The way I read it in the router settings; I thought all ports were open.

It's all working now that I've added all the necessary ports.

Once again thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.