What is a good 250-300GB external Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BLINK, Feb 13, 2005.

1. BLINK macrumors member

As the topic states, anyone know of a good 250 gig or 300 gig ex hard drive? Preferably a good speed but doesn't need to be blazingly fast. I am looking for a good deal. I dont want to spend tons of money on this. Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lacie Big Disk Extreme. (Edit: forgot also the D2 models)
    Solid, FW800 & 400, some models have USB 2

If you want value, then build your own. Buy a case from newegg.com or another online supplier and get an internal drive to put in it, you'll need some cables as well...

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Go with Blue - she knows what she is talking about. I have had nothing but good things from LaCie. I am sure you will be another one. (should you choose to purchase it.)

kyle

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't really – I only recommend things that either I or my friends have bought for work or home... I can't say whether this disk or that is better but I have never been disappointed in Lacie's external HDs. They might be a bit more costly up front but they last for ages thus representing good value – bit like Macs really :)

I hate false economy i.e. buying a cheaper product if it's only going to fall to bits in a short space of time. Spend a little more, get quality and when the bills have long been paid, you'll still have an item that still works as it should...

5. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

What exactly are you using the HD for? If it is just for basic backing up, the LaCie's are great. For audio and video, you may want to explore some different options that may cost more, but are worth it.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

LaCie d2: Bought mine in November. Comes formatted. Plug in and use. Not one problem.
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10025
    X

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

LaCie d2 (FW400,800, USB 2.0) 250 gig has worked a treat for me. Is what I am recommending to my friends...although larger sizes, as the sweet $ to GB ratio has moved up.

8. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Another vote for LaCie here. My 250GB d2 has been rock solid.

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I can also reccomend the Lacie

I have the Triple Interface 500GB version and its well built, quiet and looks the buisness.

10. BLINK thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. One last question. What do you all store on the external hard drive besides backup data?

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Video Folders: All video files in folders from past and present projects
    .dmgs of all projects converted to dvd for future burning need
    X

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah my iTunes library (35 gig), my home video projects (100 gig) and other bits and pieces that have added up from TV recordings...

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My 500GB LaCie Big Disk had constant bad sectors. I'd recommend looking at the OWC Mercurys. I have three of those and never had a problem.

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

LaCie d2 250 GB & Acom Data 160 GB

I have Acom Data's 160 GB external HD and LaCie d2 250 GB Triple Interface. So far, both of them are doing okay. Acom is in the plastic casing and LaCie d2 250 GB is in the solid aluminum casing which complemetns both of my Ti PB and Al PB.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I just picked up a LaCie d2 250 today... I figured it was time to get serious about regular backups.

So what backup software is everyone using?

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I reccomend Maxtor OneTouch Firewire/USB 250 GB external drive for Windows and Mac.

Amazing speed, great quality drive.

My dad has it and we share it wirelessly.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I use the included SilverKeeper and it works a treat.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i just got a Medea G-Raid Drive. It was kinda pricey compared to Lacie, but it has an internal fan. Keeping the drive cool, making it last longer, and its good for video.