What is a good 250GB firewire drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trainguy77, Apr 15, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am looking for a 250GB external firewire drive. Can anyone suggest one? It will be used for backups. I would like to order online. As I have looked around and they are hard to find, most places only stock USB drives.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

My standard advice:
    Get a MacAlly aluminum Firewire case, and your choice of internal IDE hard drive like a Seagate Barracuda (5 year warranty), Mactor DiamondMax 9 or 10 (3 year warranty) or a Maxtor MaxLine III (16 Mb cache and 5 year warranty) and assemble your own. You'll usually come out less expensive, and you'll get a longer warranty on the drive. What you give up is any bundled software.

4. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I do like that idea. I don't care about the software as I will be using either Retrospect Express(I own it) Or something like CCC.

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Is this the case you were talking about? http://www.macally.com/spec/firewire/storage/35enclosure.html
    EDIT: The Maxtor MaxLine III looks like it only comes in SATA and Parallel not IDE.
    EDIT: same with the Maxtor.
    EDIT: is SATA the same as IDE???? I am confused.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

No, SATA and IDE are different. I would recommend getting a case from newegg.com, as well as a drive. They have a plethora of cases, and some of the best prices you'll find around. Here's a link to the cases:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010090092+1053807123&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=92

And the hard drives:
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=15

Just make sure the case takes IDE drives if you choose an IDE one, and vice versa. I would frankly go with IDE, since the cases are likely to be cheaper.

7. tonyl macrumors 6502

Right, if you buy sotck external HD, you only get 1 year warranty. I have one Roswill Rosewill RX30-U2FA, very solid.

8. JimmyDTU macrumors newbie

I just today ordered a Acomdata 250gb External hard drive that I've heard good things about from friends and amazon...I paid $100 after a $35 rebate that ended today, but it was the second time I saw the rebate offered, so it may just restart tomorrow, I'm not quite sure. But even $135 for a 250gb firewire drive is pretty darn good.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332724&pfp=BROWSE

9. shrhaider macrumors member

shrhaider

in a related question, if I am going to buy a USB2.0/Firewire enclosure, is there any point in buying an SATA hard drive? Am I right that the extra speed of SATA (either I or II) is wasted unless you are using an SATA-enabled case?

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Agreed that a case and IDE are the way to go. I use IcyBox enclosures and they keep the drives really cool without a fan.

I have had bad luck with Maxtors.

I can heartily recommend Hitachi, Western Digital and Seagate IDE drives.

If you give a look at Computers.Com (CNET) you will find a lot of bitching and moaning about the preassembled externals from ALL of the major manufactures. Homegrown is a much better way to go, both in terms of price and reliability.

PS: Get a case that has both FIREWIRE and USB so that you can use the speed of Firewire on your mac, but if need ever be, the drive can be read by a USB 2.0 port.

11. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

13. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Pata connector on harddrives are IDE just another name for IDE

SATA uses 2 thin cables without the selection pin like the IDE hard drives:eek: :eek:

SATA is alot faster than IDE but the external cases for SATA drives are still expensive to buy .. If your on a budget then use IDE drive and fw drive like CanadaRam said :eek:

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

My Lacie going strong after 18 months. 250gig FW800/FW400/USB2.0

15. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Not to thread jack but is it easy to put together the case and HDD? Ive installed a few CD drives and RAM into a computer is it much harder than that? Do they typically come with instructions?

16. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Make your own from a barracuda seagate drive and an enclosure. The warranty is much longer.
    EDIT: Sorry I should have read further.
    runninmac: Yeah it is super easy to do, you just open it up connect two cables and put it back together. They do come with instructions though.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Parallell IDE = EIDE = UltraATA

Parallel is used to distinguish an IDE (UltraATA) drive from a Serial ATA (SATA) drive

SerialATA is nominally 150 MB/s compared with Parallel IDE / Ultra ATA at a nominal 100 MB/s or 133 MB/s

Since the Firewire 400 interface is going to top out at 50 MB/s, there is really nothing to choose between SATA and IDE for the external mechanism -- you;re not going to saturate the drive interface in either case.

18. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Now for my next trick find someone who ships to canada. Or find a canadian store that sells these things.

19. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That case is a generic Taiwanese OEM drive enclosure, we can get them. I still like the MacAlly better.
    Ordering from the US will cost you a lot more than you think, once you factor in exchange, shipping and brokerage and GST. $65 US will come out to approx CAN$110 landed.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com