what is a good antivirus program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by minkis, Aug 13, 2005.

1. minkis macrumors regular

i have norton anti virus but it just doesnt emm to work that well and i was wondering if anyone has some good anti virus and spyware scans for macs. thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No such thing. Until there's spyware and viruses that are a problem on OSX, your antivirus software is simply using up resources on your Mac.

By the way, I had heaps of trouble getting rid of Norton and ended up having to do a reformat and install.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Other than one reason - if you are in a mixed environment, a Mac can pass a virus-laden email forward to a PC, so there may be a reason for an Anti Viral program that scans Mac mail for PC virii.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

True. In which case I'd recommend almost anything but Norton. Strictly speaking though, a PC without antivirus software will probably get pretty b0rked (sorry, just overrun by l33t speak momentarily, it won't happen again) irrespective of any incoming emails from Macs.

I'd say there's a greater risk from direct file-sharing which, to the best of my knowledge, bypasses the PC antivirus software.

5. PubGuy macrumors member

Use ClamXav -- available on Macupdate.com (or do a Google search). O'Reilly just had a great write-up on it and its a FREE open-source program, full OS X compliant and even has a background agent. I've set it up to do live scans of my Desktop, inBox, and my downloads files. This way I won't be passing on "bad" files to my Window's friends --> don't want them blaming my Mac for a virus they got!