What is a good kitchen knife for a left handed person???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leareth, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hi guys

I have a bit of a problem
    my favorite knife got broken last night in a stupid act
    I have had this knife for 9 years and I recall it being expensive when I bought it, it has been sharpened and cleaned so many times that the makers brand is no longer visible all I can see is "made in Japan".
    So now I am looking for a good kitchen knife 6" blade that works for a lefty, all the good knives I have tried today are fine for use with right hand but useless with left , the blade slides .
    SO the question to you guys is does any one know of/use a left handed knife that has about a 6" blade and is high quality, no Ikea knives and the like please.
    I am talking about the $200 plus range, after all the last one lasted 9 years...
    :rolleyes:
    Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. CharlesRobinson macrumors newbie

CharlesRobinson

Chicago Cutlery sells some amazing heavy-duty knives for kitchen use. I'm not sure if you can get them in your area, but if you can, they're definitely worth the penny.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

can you elaborate on this? :D :p

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

i have some Henckels that seem to be regarded as a very good knives. they were given to me as a gift (odd, i know) from a left handed guy... i know he had his fashioned for being a lefty.

<shrugs>

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    are left handed knives really different? i guess the actual cutting edge is biased huh? interesting...

i'd have to recommend that Shun knife that was linked in the first reply. a friend of mine bought a full set and are super happy with them. they found the set on eBay for about $400 - a great deal considering how much one costs.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i'm left handed and i use the normal knife and it feels comfortable. So left handed knives have a different handle or something?

Bless

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, left-handed knives have the serration on the opposite side to right-handed knives, the blade is sharpened on the opposite side to right handed knives. When a left hander uses a right handed blade to cut a slice of bread from a loaf (from the other end remember) the blade will cut a wedge instead of a straight slice. Same thing happens with meat and basically anything else you have to cut.

We're talking about really good knives here for top-notch cooks. Most knives you buy are ambidextrous but when cooking is your trade you'll want a top quality blade that will make your cooking easier to do. A left handed chef using a right handed blade is not going to be able to slice as accurately and as controlled as he would with a left handed blade.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Cool now i know and knowing is half the battle....

Bless

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

GI JOOOOOOE!!

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz