What is a good music composition program?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DavPeanut, Jun 29, 2002.

1. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I play piano, and I want to have a program that allows me to either write in the music from the computer keyboard, the mouse, or from an external piano keyboard. I want to be able to save the music in both a note form and an mp3 or other audio form. Something that I could covert using iTunes so I could listen to it with a normal CD player. Something between $25 and $250. Please give me suggestions that fit the description.

2. iamspooky macrumors member

Aloha,

Check out Finale software at: http://www.codamusic.com

They have different versions available, also search the net for Academic or Educational software resellers...your a student so you are eligible for a good discount on these products.

Also, you should look into downloading Protools LE free version at digidesign.com. That's what I use after I sequence my music in Finale. You need to record the midi and make wave files of your composition then burn it to CD. You might need some other software to convert to wave to MP3 file, but I'm sure most standard CD burning software can convert wave to MP3...

Good luck !!

MARK:cool:

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

iTools will do the conversion from WAV to mp3. Just add the WAV to the playlist and tell it to convert thru the menu system.

I am stilllllll waiting for an OSX native finale. Not scheduled til next summer for Finale 2004 :(

4. DavPeanut thread starter macrumors 6502

Is finale not OS X native? I forgot to add that to the requirements

5. DavPeanut thread starter macrumors 6502

For my needs, Finale Allegro should probably do the trick. I dont need anything really special. Thanks guys. I wouldn't have found it if you hadn't told me about Finale first!

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

You could try Sibelius, but I think it may be too expensive, and it might be overkill for what you want. I prefer Sibelius to Finale, just because I find it easier to work with. It's funny, going to a music educators convention, and seeing how the Coda and Sibelius guys claim that their software is better than the others... Sibelius 2 should work under Mac OS X.

7. DavPeanut thread starter macrumors 6502

How much is it? I found out about an hour ago that my mom only wants to spend $150.

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Sibelius is kind of out of league... At least $300 for an academic license, assuming you qualify, and $600 for the regular price. I think as long as you just want to use it with piano, most programs will work. Sibelius is made for arranging whole scores, and tons of other stuff...