What is a good resource for novice!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by srf4real, Sep 8, 2006.

1. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I got my first digital camera two hurricane seasons ago - a Kodak 5.0Mp 10x optical zoom... just wanted to record the epic waves we got. Well now I'm hooked on taking pictures, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
    Tonight I found out that my Kodak is actually manually adjustable after shooting in auto modes for two years! But I have no clue what to adjust and why in the appropriate situations, etc.....

Is there a good resource for learning the basics of exposure, shutter speed, whatever else there is to know about taking better pictures? I prefer to read my computer screen over a physical book; any awesome websites anyone reccommends?:)

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

3. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

That is extrememly helpful! It's like I have a new toy! THANX:D

4. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

A quick search brought up

http://www.digital-photography-tips.net/

I don't know if it's good, but try it and see.
    There is a ton of sites out there. Just use a search engine using your key words, digital photography tutorial/basics/learning/tips etc.

5. hector macrumors regular

im in exactly the same boat, just got a camera -just been to israel and couldn't take enough pics, im getting better but dont really know what im doing...

[​IMG]

one of my efforts :D

6. beavo451 macrumors 6502

Buy the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

I generally suggest "any" of the books written by John Shaw, such as "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide" (ISBN: 0817440593).

A "good news/bad news" aspect of John's books is that the first chapter in several of them are a repeat of photography basics. Its kind of a bummer when you buy a 2nd one of his books because it is repeated material, but once you know to expect it is there, you're fine. I now own 3 or 4 of John's books, plus I was subscribed to his "Natural Image" newsletter while that was being published. All in all, good stuff.

And for anyone near Northern NJ, they're part of my "loan to a friend" library.

On Amazon, look for a "Buy Together Today" special with one of Shaw's books (he has several) with Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" - a total price of $32.94

-hh