WHAT IS A HYBRID CAR?

Discussion in 'Community' started by rsxkid99, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rsxkid99 macrumors newbie

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One which uses electrical power to enhance the efficiency of the engine. Some, like the Toyota Prius, can actually move for short distances on electric power alone. Others, like the Honda Civic Hybrid, cannot. Generally, they are much better at using power/fuel only when needed, and generally they regain some energy while slowing down through regenerative braking.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

jsw is correct. If you would like additional information/explanations, check out this link to howstuffworks - it's an excellent site for anything you need to know, actually, and a good one to bookmark!

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Some hybrid cars get over 70mpg. You've probably seen then on television commercials two years ago. One of the commercials depicted this pretty slick silvery car with the bottom of one of its back tires showing... and would you mind not speaking in ALL CAPS?

5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

yeah! get with it! :D Just kidding! Apparently Mercedes are planning on making the new S Class a Hybrid. :eek:

EDIT: If you like that sort of thing! :p

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

My parents got from SF to Yosemite in a Toyota hybrid in 1 tank of gas :eek:

7. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

to be quite honest my next car will definatley be a hybrid car.. They are finally pumping out hybrids that dont look compleatly like ass... after all whats an extra 5 grand when you can save money on gas and keep the air clean...

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

my mom has had a prius for a couple of years. It looks kind of odd, but she still gets happy when paying for gas, especially since she had a suburban before the prius....

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I have been seriously thinking about getting a hybrid recently, but I think I've instead decided to get a VW Jetta wagon TDI (diesel). Fill it up with 100% biodiesel, and I'll be using NO foreign oil, and have very good emissions... along with 40mpg!

Lee Tom

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Hybrid cars are great for fuel efficiency, but if you get in an accident in a hybrid car, you might change your mind about them.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about 2 weeks ago, and it talked about how special equipment is needed to disconnect the battery from the car before you can safely get out of it. The article stated that only a handful of US cities have the equipment. So, if your in an accident in a hybrid, you might be trapped inside your car for several hours.

Personally, I can't stand the looks of any of the hybrid cars. The way I look at it, we're going to run out of fossil fuel in 50 years, so I might as well get a gas guzzling car and help reduce it to 45 years. :D

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And reduce your bank account in the process, eh?

My TDI has gone 800 miles on a tank. (officially 55 litres)

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very good point. But in the end, it's a trade-off - some people would rather stick with what they know (i.e. fossil fuels, non-hybrids) and end up paying more in fuel costs and getting fewer miles per gallon, rather than saving money, saving the environment and embracing the future direction of driving. To each his own though!

My friend has a Prius and it's a sweet little car - it's saved her a lot of money already! Hybrids have their downsides of course, and the technology is still a ways off from being perfect of course, but they're well on their way!

I'll definitely consider buying a hybrid for my next car. Hmm, although I don't know if Porsche will be making hybrids any time soon... ;) :cool:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm....didn't know if that "post-accident" stuff is true. Never thought about it. How much is it to repair a Hybrid? Is it as much as it is to repair a Jag or Porsche or something?

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Sounds more like some Windows people talk when asked about Mac: Oh, Macs, no, can't use Internet on a Mac.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Duh! You can't do anything on a Mac 'cause there's no Start button!

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah yes, the infamous Start button of Windows - as in "click this button to Start having troubles..." ;)

17. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Just to add in basic marketing:

Hybrids + buys = higher gas prices
    aka: more people buy hybrids the higher gas will be.

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Of course hybrids are ridiculously expensive to repair! Do you think Willie at Willie's Garage will be able to do anything more than put air in the tires? You're going back to the dealer from now on...

The problem isn't that we'll run out of fossil fuels. The problem is that in the course of running out of them, we'll be doing more and more damage to the environment. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this month's National Geographic, simplified for the ignorant (whether incidentally or by choice).

If you can afford one, get it. Honda and Toyota make great vehicles and are still losing money on these things. Gas mileage varies greatly from the stated figures, but they're still going to better other cars. Bragging rights included...

19. robotjustin macrumors newbie

a hybrid is a car...

That let me drive from New Jersey to California and back on 9 tanks of gas and average 60 miles to the gallon.

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow newb... a google search wasn't working for you? i think it's awesome how polite everyone was! :rolleyes:

21. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I've been thinking about that for a couple of years now...it's already starting to happen. I don't remember the gas prices being this seneative...I mean, if someone in Iraq farts loudly, the gas prices go up here. I think it's just a smokescreen to raise prices and make some more money before everyone goes hybrid and diesel...at which point they'll raise the gas prices more, effectively shooting themselves in the foot. Wht they need to think about is that hybrids and diesels aren't more popular now because of pollution concerns...they're mor popular because of gas prices, and that will always be the motivating factor for most people. Instead of raising prices, they should lower prices, so that people will be more reluctant to go hybrid so quickly. Although I'd prefer hybrid cars, and am having a tough time deciding between a VW diesel and a hybrid. But at the same time, I still want oil prices to be lower, because oil prices effect the price of a lot of other things we buy.

22. Solkar macrumors newbie

I love my Prius

I've owned a Toyota Prius since May of 2002, and I love it. My previous cars had been a 1979 Thunderbird, a 1983 Grand Marquis, a 1993 Cougar.

I have a heavy foot, and I live in Texas, so I run the air conditioning all the time, so my in-town mileage doesn't always live up to the hype. Plus, I live only a couple of miles from work, so the engine barely gets warmed up (so the hybrid system kicks in) before I have to shut the car off most of the time.

Still, I average around 36 MPG, and most of that is in town, stop & go. I've made trips between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City where I got better than 50 MPG going 75-80 MPH.

But it's not just the mileage - it's also the emissions. I live in downtown Fort Worth, and on red-alert pollution days, my throat and eyes and nose burn. So rather than just complain, I got as close as I could to buying a zero emissions vehicle. I'd take a bus, but sometimes my job requires me to make unschedules trips over to Dallas.

And all the quibbles (all minor) I have with my Prius have been addressed in the new version. The new Priuses are great cars. We almost bought one to replace our aging Camry, but decided to wait a couple of years to see what Toyota does in the way of a hybrid Camry.

We're sold on they hybrids, and I don't think we'll ever go back.

23. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

24. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Last year I spent maybe $500 on gasoline. I definitely know I didn't spend more than that. See, I don't drive that much, so the price of fuel doesn't matter to me. Last year I think I drove a total of just under 4,000 miles. Most people drive 4,000 miles in 3 months.

I don't have a hybrid car because I don't like the looks of any of them. I prefer driving a car that I find visually appealing. I also like SUV's, though I don't have one now, my next car will be one. If they made a hybrid SUV, I would seriously consider purchasing one.

Oh, and I don't purchase or even consider American cars.

25. brianellisrules macrumors regular

Hello (hybrid) Ford Escape....