What is a "HyperTransport" mobo?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by The Shadow, Apr 10, 2003.

1. The Shadow macrumors regular

Hi,
    I keep reading speculation about how the new PM motherboards will incorporate hypertransport technology. Can anyone explain what this is and its implications for performance etc. Also what are the other competitors in the industry doing in this regard. :confused:

Many thanks.

P.S. Due to time diff's, I may not acknowledge posts for a while. It's late!:eek:

2. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

hyper transport has to do with alleviating bandwidth limitations and increasing data flow.

go here and you can get a good brief explanation that should make sense (hopefully:D )

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Intel's P4's also have hyper-transport, but i think it's only on their newer chips, the P4 3.06GHz and upwards.

you could check out intel.com to see if you can find some more info there, and www.arstechnica.com has a heap of articles that explain RAM, and stuff like system architecture. they might have something on hyper transport as well.

4. The Shadow thread starter macrumors regular

5. vniow macrumors G4

You're thinking of Hyperthreading where one procesor emulates two, Hypertransport is someting entirely different.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

whoops!:p got a bit carried away there. so, they're completely differnet things? i'll have to do a bit more research...

i also found this website: www.hypertransport.org . looks like AMD is researching HyperTransport.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

any microprocessor manufacturer is researching this... if they
    plan to be around for long... :rolleyes: ;)

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:eek:

You saying that IBM is going to vaporize because they support Rapid I/O?

I won't ask that about Motorola, since I can guess what you'd answer to their Rapid I/O support would be. :p