What is a Pismo?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sparks9, May 16, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

I see this name over and over but what is it? Yes I know it's a Powerbook, but which one?

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. macrumors 6502

Pismo

Re: What is a Pismo?

Pismo was the codename. The Pismo PowerBook came in 2 models. They had a 400 or 500 MHz G3 processor, AirPort, and Firewire. This was the last model before the Titanium PowerBooks were introduced.

4. macrumors 68020

mymemory

It is a band of trols and elfos that still your underweard from your closet late at night.

5. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i love pismo. i want a pismo, with a g4 upgrade. it was like the perfect case, not as round as the iBooks, but not as straight as the titaniums.

6. macrumors 603

janey

the pismo is an amazing machine i was gonna trade a ti for my friend's pismo but he didn't want OS X and he liked the 1gb of memory he could have
    it's the PowerBook G3 with FireWire-the Lombard is the one with the bronze keyboard, which is also a cool laptop.
    If you want more info on the Pismo, Mactracker (search on versiontracker) has some cool stuff about it
    [​IMG]
    don't you think it's pretty? :p

7. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

so, the PB G3 Wallstreet came before the Pismo, right?

8. macrumors 6502

The next question would be how many still use their Pismo?

I still use mine, 3 years, 2 months after I bought it.
    No paint chips (hey, its plastic), a few crayon marks (darn kids), and it has crashed something like twice, since OSX 10.0 (add those and the number of reboot needed updates and that is about the number of times I've rebooted since OS-X came out).

I also bought a Vaio 505 shortly after (y'know the thin ones)... and er.. gave it away, mainly because of battery life and memory expansion - and oh yeah, it ran Windows2000 sort of - which means sleep mode never worked, and it crashed when you least expected. I tried linux on it, and since Sony doesn't release any information about most of their stuff, most of the things didn't work (no kernel support) - but it was stable. The Pismo on the other hand runs Linux like a charm - and everything works - including WiFi.

My favourite feature of OS-X is you can just close the lid on a laptop and it goes to sleep... open it, and it works right away... y'know, like you'd expect. ;)

-Wyrm

9. macrumors 65816

melchior

i had a pismo for a while. other people love their cube or in the What is the best apple coomputer thread they're saying their TI 17 and blah blah blah. the g3 powerbooks were beautiful beautfiul machines. i really love the design.

it is my favorite apple design ever. gonna go say so now. in the other thread. =)

10. macrumors 604

scem0

oops - mistake. Please delete.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

My dad has the Lombard, it looks like the Pismo, but it has no firewire. It still does everything he needs, it runs os 9 though :( .
    I keep telling him to install os x.

12. macrumors newbie

BTW, "pismo" means "letter" in Russian :)

13. macrumors 65816

melchior

that's cool. i didn't know that. (maybe i should. i'm going to russia for a month in june/july)

on spot of alternative language names, i was in a shoe store and there was a nike branded 'libretto' libretto means small book in italian. (i think a lot of people know this, if only because of shakespeare) so this shoe is a little book. that's.... interesting. i think it's most stupid because i am sure lots of people know this too. just not Nike Marketeers....

14. macrumors 6502

Re: Libretto
    Nobody knows what occurs in the brains of marketers. I'd assume by their choice of name, that the targeted market doesn't know either (or at least the marketers don't think their target market knows...er you know what I mean).

Re: Pismo
    Russian for Letter? Cool. I thought it was one of those things the British use on windows to open them by turning a crank - or maybe that's the Willy-banger?:D

I think Apple comes up with great project code names, however it seems like only "Jaguar" has the code name brought forward to the product name. Wonder if they'll do the same with "Panther"?
    It's too bad the Pismo is just code name, and not the product name, since it is so much better than "Firewire Powerbook 2000".

-Wyrm

15. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I've always wanted a Pismo... they're just too danged expensive on eBay, especially since they don't have a warranty. Still, a Pismo with a G4 upgrade, 1 GB of RAM, and dual new batteries... *drools*

16. macrumors member

Still loving my Pismo 400.

Only problem is my battery is pretty much only good as a weight source. I think the battery bug has fried it. I know it's a bit old, but the life varies from 40 minutes to about 25 seconds after unplugging.

So a G4 upgrade and a couple new batteries would be nice...

17. macrumors member

actually, OS 9 does this quite well too - shuts off my pismo automatically when i close the lid, powers on by the time i've opened it up again.

btw, don't forget the other advantage of the pismo over the early tibooks - the audio input jack!

best,
    np

18. macrumors 6502

Yeah - I remember OS9 sleep (luckily I was able to move to OS-X really early - which means basically I wasn't a "power" user) but I seem to remember OS9 taking forever to return control to the user after a sleep. Is this still the case? OS-X is faster than opening the case.

TiBook doesn't have an audio input jack? How do you rip 8-track then? :D

-Wyrm

19. macrumors newbie

iznAdiznam

Hey there. I just upgraded my Pismo 400 to a G3 900MHz through Powerlogix. I was going to get the G4 500MHz upgrade, but the G3 900 is soooo much faster, and apparently, according to tests, it even beats the G4 500 upgrade in pretty much every test they ran, and I've heard its even a bit quicker with Altivec enhanced apps, compared to the G4 500 upgrade, and this is from Powerlogix, who sells both, why would they bad mouth their own products?

Using Xbench, I tested out the new upgrade, and compared my stats to other Pismos on the xbench website, look for my stats, which are listed under Adam Schneider's Computer, then look for some of the G4 upgrades, and you'll notice that the G3 900 upgrade is much faster (btw, my computer only recognizes it as a G3 550MHz, which it is listed at the xbench site as; a special utility is needed to recognize it as the 900MHZ that it is, this utility also allows me to lower the CPU speed, pretty neat)

Well, I love the upgrade. It is unbelievable, so damn fast, and handles 10.2.6 like a charm. I wish their was a faster G4 upgrade, I would love to say, "I have a G4 Pismo," but, hell, I have a G3 900MHz Pismo!!!! Sooooo nice.

Definitely get the G3 900 over the G4 500 upgrade. I really have a monster Pismo again, now I just need to max out my RAM, only at 640MB right now.

Take care of your shoes,
    Adam

20. macrumors 6502

I have A Pismo 400, and its broken. Its doesnt seem to want to boot up. So, Actually, id be willing to sell it if someone wants It and wants to fix it or just to sit and look pretty, or do whatever. If anyone wants more details or to make an offer, let me know.

21. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Isn't "Pismo" also the name of a beach near San Francisco?

22. macrumors 68000

5300cs

First was the Wallstreet, second was Lombard, last was Pismo.

OS 9 takes a few seconds to wake up after sleep, in the meantime everything is frozen on the screen. Still did it in 9.2.2.

If they still had a few unopened Pismos I'd take one, I like the smell of new machines;) ..especially the iBook

uhh.. does that make me strange?

23. macrumors regular

Yup, and it is quite a nice beach too. It is famous for its clams (which are sort of similar to PowerBooks), and as a resting ground for migrating monarch butterflies (which are also sort of similar to PowerBooks). The Pismo code name may derive from the Russian, but I think Pismo Beach is a more likely candidate. :)

24. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Sounds very nice! Too bad it's half way around the world from over here...

25. macrumors 6502

I still use a Pismo 500 everyday at work. I have two batteries and still get about 4 hours with the screen dimmed to one notch and not listening to iTunes.

It's a great little machine. It's been here just under three years. Every once in awhile it flakes out on me but that's very rare now under OSX.

FWIW you can use 1GB of ram in a Pismo. I'm doing it right now. Crucial.com

Cheers