What is a reasonable price for a 12 inch powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ceruleanventure, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I've been searching ebay determined to buy a 867mhz model 12 inch powerbook (for traveling) however the prices seem to be all over the place. What do you think is a reasonable price for one? I don't want to pay too much (obviously) Also, is there some website that list the current going price or value of used apple computers? Thanks

2. eidrunner247
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Depends what you want to do with it. Does RAM matter? Does it have to be a Superdrive, or can it be a Combo? For that price, I think around 650 (give or take) would be reasonable. But as you know, that can vary depending on other things. I might be wrong, but look at the result of this auction for you to have an idea. And if you don't need Superdrive, consider that the price will be a little bit lower. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-12-Powerb...5QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. ceruleanventure
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Thanks eidrunner247, the amount of RAM doesn't matter, I'm guessing 256 to 512 would be fine. Doesn't need superdrive or a big hd or anything special. And the 867mhz processor is fine for me since this would be a back up or travel computer. Btw, if anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested in what you have to offer :)

4. Shasta
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

5. eidrunner247
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

And just another thing to keep in mind. Computers generally go for more or less depending on the seller. If the seller has less than 15 feedback then I feel they go for less, but there can also be more risk with that... I try to go from people that have feedback with more than 50, (or around there).

oh Shasta - didn't now that was your auction. I wasn't trying to take a swipe at you with my post! (but in general, that's my rule of thumb)

6. ceruleanventure
    Expand Collapse

ceruleanventure

Shasta, is that your auction? ;) While it would be nice to have an unlimited budget (lol), mine is in the $400 to $500 range.

7. generik
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

generik

$400 is a bit low, but you should do ok with $500 ;)

8. Shasta
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Yep, so bid high and bid often!
    Daddy needs a new macbook

haha

Do it.

Shasta

9. ceruleanventure
    Expand Collapse

ceruleanventure

Yah, I figured $400 is a bit low, part of that is my mac newbieness and the other part is the possibility that a powerbook could cost that much due to small defect or something. I have seen some ebay auctions that ended with that amount because of something as fixable as stickers on the lid or a missing foot. Oh well, lol. Anyone who is selling, feel free to post :) And if anyone has any more advice, the same goes for you too :)

10. LBmacman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

What about a 1.33 GHz one? How much should they go for?

11. l3lue
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

l3lue

Yep, LINK

12. baby duck monge
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Of course, no one on these boards is likely to give you the amount they say on that site. Though if there is anyone who would, I would be fairly interested in selling them the PowerBook in my sig. It's in great shape and has just about 2 years left on AppleCare!