What is a "swapfile"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by About2SwitchOvr, May 23, 2004.

1. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

I was looking through the Hard Drive.. and saw 4 of these files..
    I added the pdf to this.. anyone offer any insight?

Attached Files:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the short answer is that swapfiles are the place where virtual memory is stored, it's referenced in pageins/pageouts. In general, the system takes care of virtual memory, although it's a bit complicated you can move the file to another disk, for instance.

paul

3. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

I can move it... but I can't/shouldn't delete it.. correct? I saw about 4... which seems to get bigger and bigger...

4. kenkooler macrumors regular

Correct, those files will be erased after a restart or when the memory is freed.

5. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Ok great!

Thanks Kenkooler, for your input. Greatly appreciated...
    While on the topic of memory..
    Even if I had... say.. 1 gig, compared to the 768 I have now...The amount of memory (percentage) that I have... should be the same in either situations.. if I'm running the same programs.. no?

Currently. I run mainly Excel, Adium, have iTunes in the background, Safari, and watch EyeTv at the same time and that always leaves about 10-12 mbs free... Even if I had a gig, it would still end up somewhere near there because the longer the programs are up and running, it's consuming memory..

Is this assumption a correct/accurate one?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some will be deleted after logging out, but all will only be deleted after a restart. They don't go away (unfortunately) just because they aren't needed.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

You can slso put Your swap file on a partition but I forgot how. I heard it is better that way.