What is a "Tetrahedron"?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by neurotron, Dec 23, 2002.

1. neurotron macrumors newbie

bonjour!

i recently attended a small new products convention in downtown San Jose -- most of the booths had on display outdated "new" releases, mundane items with no real future potential. there were a few cubicles set aside for the usual heroes (i.e. Apple, IBM, Intel, etc), and none really broke the general blandness which typically pervades such pedantic displays.

except one.

i was cruising casually along the aisles, a robot in the jungle of electronic loose-ends, when one particular display caught my eyes, sending streams of exciting photons into the rod cells of my retinae.

impossible, i thought. it can't be.

my mind didn't allow the image reality presented it to enter the realm of consciousness -- it was a hazy ghost-image; a fever dream, with fever logic.

but it had to be true. it was there. directly before me.

a pyramidal tower that would have risen to my knees, were it not for the blue-Lucite pedestal on which it sat, four feet off the grass-tufted earth. a "screen" stood nearby, throwing out images too amazing to correctly judge: it was clearly an operating system far in advance of anything available today. of anything even in the think-tanks -- longhorn is "nothing" compared to what flowed like liquid across this screen.

there were no attendants. it was a lone display. it needed no accoutrements. no "frills." no hanging banners. this was the beginning of a revolution -- i could feel it, in the hollow center of my bones. a rising tingle that signified the ideals of every computer scientist who ever lived. above the display was a glorified black and white photograph -- Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the Web. his head was turned down, eyes averted from the camera -- a smile of mirth on his mouth, as he moved away in some momentary excitement. he looked grand.

in white "futura" letters beneath, it said: "EVOLVE."

i, stunned into silence, touched the monitor -- it responded with soothing pulses of light, ascending into a blizzard of color and motion I could not track. then, a low, sonorous voice, neither male nor female, bespoke what white letters had emerged on the monitor (if indeed it was):

"Welcome to Tetrahedron."

It was only then that I noticed the small box-like sigil embossed into the screen-frame's lower right-hand corner.

Closer inspection revealed its lettered content to be:

"NeXT 2."

I am, at this point, too confused to do anything more. I was not dreaming -- this actually occured. Before the date of that convention, 12/21/02, a Saturday, I had never experienced anything like this . . . "event" which overtook me.

What is a "Tetrahedron"? Has anyone heard anything about this?

It seems more crazy than anything, at this point. I could not believe my eyes. I still don't.

Please provide me whatever information is available -- cull everything within your beck and call. Dredge up everything. I am desperate for information, and the display had been ransacked of its promo pamphlets.

All internet searches have yielded no results.

Will you, please, help me?

My sincerest thanks,

-N.T.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well in answer to your question, a tetrahedron is a geometric figure with (i believe) ten sides.

As far as the other stuff, i can't really comment. Do you enjoy recreational drugs?

:)
    pnw

3. therandthem macrumors newbie

...and then I launched an application and I saw... unbelievable as it may seem, THE SPINNING BEACH BALL!!!!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks like it's time for you to see the doctor again...

Seems the medications you are on are producing some very vivid waking dreams.

5. neurotron thread starter macrumors newbie

A Question of Veracity?

my statements are true, yet kicked around like so much trash . . .

i will track down this phantom machine and post photographs of its discovery.

then we'll see who has the right to laugh.

-N.T.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

How to make a tetrahedron:

http://tremor.nmt.edu/tetra.html

According to my chemistry teacher, theoretically, a perfectly tetrahedral shape has a geometric angle of 109.5 degrees, or 1.911 radians, from edge to edge. The figure is 3D, and forms an atomic structure of AB4, which is commonly described as tetrahedral.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: A Question of Veracity?

Yes, I think your statements are true.

Or, at least this statement of yours is true...

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

four faces, actually. the "four-sided die" popular w/ D&D.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if ya got 'em, i'd like to see this thing. but i'm not holding my breath.

10. rjrufo macrumors regular

neurotron,
    When you publish your SiFi novel, let me know. I'd love to read it.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

FYI: a regular tetrahedron is a four-faced "platonic" solid, each face, including the base, being an equilateral triangle. Like a pyramid with three faces instead of four above ground.

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I think that it would be worth noting that there was some reason to believe that in the NeXT 2 thread there were 2 users making claims about this that were mostly likely the same person.

arn, I would doublecheck this user's IP address against crude analogy and RUNCIBLE 2.0 if I were you.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wouldn't there be something else, somewhere to back you up on this? Do you think such a thing would be displayed low key?

Show us the pics.

Oh, Next.com is still owned by Apple, but is a dead link, just so you know.

D

14. cubist macrumors 68020

A tetrahedron is a four-faced, six-edged regular polyhedron.

Especially notable about the tetrahedron is that it is the shape which, for a given surface area, encloses the *least* volume. For this reason, it is probably the *worst* shape for a computer enclosure. The odd angles mentioned by King Cobra are a minus, too.

The sphere encloses the most volume for a given surface area, but is inefficient because of the curved surfaces.

Alexander Graham Bell was enamored of tetrahedrons. The Mars Pathfinder probe was a tetrahedral shape; the maximization of area was desirable, because the "petals" were solar cells. For most practical purposes, however, a tetrahedron is an inefficient shape.

I doubt that Apple would revive the NeXT brand, but it is slightly possible. Perhaps it has an AMD processor inside?
    :rolleyes:

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I stand corrected.

I suggest people go to the link in this guy's profile.

NeXTNut.

:)
    pnw

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Then why haven't these nuts been crushed?

All three of them...

17. cubist macrumors 68020

Here's a tetrahedron...

http://home.pacbell.net/fhausman/tetra/ti2.htm

People who exhibit things at shows generally have some information available for people who want it.

The tetrahedron is a simple connection between processors in a four-processor system.

The weirdest part is how the original poster describes
    The concept of an operating system "flowing like liquid across this screen" is extremely peculiar. Operating systems are noted for interrupt latency, efficient memory management, and things like that. Perhaps he wishes to say that the graphical user interface "flowed" in this manner... yet it doesn't seem as though he interacted with it in any significant manner.

It does sound as though he was emotionally affected by some kind of technological product. Whatever it is, the vendor is keeping itself mightily well-concealed on the Internet, while at the same time exhibiting products in public shows... :confused: