What is a Video Transfer Screen?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by redAPPLE, Mar 4, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys.

i got this information from a second hand source (or better said, from someone which might not be all that reliable).

i got old vhs videos and video8 videos. i was told if video is played through a "video transfer screen" and i would record the video (from the video transfer screen) with my digital video camera, i could edit the video with better quality and all.

i hope someone could tell me if this is a fact and if so, where could i get this video transfer screen.

thanks.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I'm guessing that the person was referring to what was sold for transferring film to video in years past ... it was a poor method for that purpose and it's even worse for transferring video footage from one format to another.

If all you need to do is get analog footage (VHS, S-VHS, 8mm, Hi8, BetaMax, 3/4", etc) into your computer for editing, it's a relatively easy process.

First you'll need the appropriate playback device for the format you'll be working with; a VHS or S-VHS VCR for VHS tapes for example ... for Video 8, you can use an 8mm, Hi8 or Digital 8** playback device (VTR or camcorder).

Next, connect the playback device's analog outputs to a qualified DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter) and then connect the DV device to your Mac via Firewire. Launch your editing program and follow the steps for capturing analog footage. In FCP, this would be to set device control to "Non-Controllable Device" and then using Capture Now.

Alternatively you could dub the footage to DV and then capture from the new tape.

-DH

** using a Digital 8 playback device for capturing 8mm video footage eliminates the need for an additional DV device since it IS a DV device itself.

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE