What is Allendale?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wmmk, Oct 8, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I was just browsing the MR Guides and noticed that along merom, conroe, and woodcrest, there is a member of the Core 2 called Allendale. The only info in the article was that this is a consumer desktop processor. Is there any possibiltiy of this being used in a Mac? Also, is this between merom and conroe, or is it between woodcrest and conroe? What clock does it run at? Thanks,
    wmmk:)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Allendale is a Conroe (Core 2 Duo Desktop) with only 2 MB of shared L2 cache.

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Lower end version of Conroe.

I doubt they'll use it unless they decide to use a desktop chipset in the Mac Mini down the line.

5. achie25 macrumors 6502

Allendale is a city in Michigan where Grand Valley State University is. They are a D2 sports powerhouse. :D

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

According to Intel, Allendale chips aren't available yet. That's to say that in reality the E6300 and E6400 core 2 duo chips are conroe chips, not Allendale as a number of resources list them as. The real Allendale chips will be out next year sometime.

To answer your other question, they are the same chip and have half the L2 Cache disabled (2MB instead of 4MB) as Eidorian pointed out and come in speeds of 1.83Ghz and 2.13Ghz.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Huh?

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Allen wrench + Cannondale bike = allendale

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is very odd. I "know" that the 2 MB chips are "Allendale" but only Conroe is out.

The E6xxx series is Conroe and the E4xxx series is Allendale. I guess the slower bus speed on Allendale is what sets it apart even if the lower end Conroes have 2 MB of cache. That and Allendale lacks onboard Virtualization Tech from Intel.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think it is supposed to be that Allendale have their own core design, with 2MB of L2 Cache. Where as the current chips have 4MB, but 2 is disabled and are otherwise the same as Conroes. As far as I know all the current core 2 chips are the same thing, but depending on how they perform during the binning process is what categorizes them as merom, conroe or woodcrest.

11. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And that helps Intel church out a ton of Core 2 chips at very little cost. Just use the same die w/4 MB of cache. Cooler chips go to Merom and hotter chips go to Conroe/Woodcrest. Chips get cache crippled to fit certain price points.