What is an "a-card"?

Discussion in 'Community' started by 5300cs, May 28, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've been watching a bunch of 3 Stooges shorts, and the term "a-card" when referring to certain cars, has come up (also in some Warner Brothers cartoons.) Can someone tell me what it means?

I've searched the Wikipedia & Google but can't seem to find anything...

2. Blurb macrumors member

Are you sure they are not saying "the A car", not card? Seems like I remember hearing that term used in old tv shows or movies of same time period as the 3 stooges. When I read your post, the first memory that popped up in my li'l noggin' was "the A car", in reference to a certain train car, e.g., the first passenger train car vs the middle or end/last cars. Dunno. Could be completely wrong.... :eek:

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

definition

An a-car is an abbreviation for an ambulance. You should have checked Urban Dictionary. Here's the page .

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Could it possibly refer to an A ration card?

During WWII there was rationing on gas and people books of stamps or cards to say that they were authorized to purchase gas.

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ah! That sounds like it.

There was a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's in an airplane that's about to nose dive into the ground. At the last minute it sputters to a halt and he says "ehhh, what do you expect from an A card?" and points to a sticker of an A on the body.