What is Apple doing about the SPAM problem on .mac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by genehack, Jul 28, 2006.

1. genehack macrumors newbie

For two months now, my mac account is flooded.
    It used to be the account with the best filtering, and I used it only for
    private and important mails.
    Spam was rare.

Could it be that Apple moved their servers to different hosting companys, or that they lowered filerting due to the famous delays back in the days ?
    If they won´t take some action, I won´t renew it.
    100$ for a spam source is not justified.

I gave feedback here, let´s see what and if they answer:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/tm.html

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

odd, I don't get spam on my .mac account.....maybe it's more of an issue of somebody putting your address on somebody's email list that's being sold around??

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've been getting more lately too but since I don't tend to use it on sites where my details might be sold, I'm putting it down to people trying to 'guess' email addresses.

The best bet is to forward them onto Apple at spam@mac.com with their full headers so that they can block those domains and tweak the spam settings.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're worried about tons of spam, you might consider using a free alias at .mac to sign up for things online. If you start to get spam, just cancel the alias and all the spam goes away. Works fine.

5. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

one of my aliases is starting to get spam. Its the kind where its not even addressed to me and I don't understand why I get it. The To: field is for example to zftrd@mac while my alias is zoa_xx@mac. The long headers have my email address in there somewhere though

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Your name is likely buried in a bcc field

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

weird... i dont get any spam to my .mac email

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

One of the other problems with the spam currently coming through on .mac (and on another account I have elsewhere) is that it's not text based but an image containing the text. This presumably make it harder for the spam filters to get rid of it since they can't just delete mail with images attached in case they are valid pics.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In the last two months I've had 10 spam e-mails. OVer the life of my .mac account I've has 10 spam e-mails.
    Something happened in the last two months...I think.

10. Jopling macrumors 6502

Yeah, I never had any spam on my .mac account. Now I get maybe 10-20 pieces of spam per day, its absolutely ridiculous. I've actually been considering cancelling my .mac account, especially since they never have free software or coupons anymore.

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I thought about this too, and I think i know the answer. If you have a website hosted on .mac that google can find, the extension of it (homepage.mac.com/username/site) obviously has the username, so they just take that, throw a @mac.com at the end and spam away. That's my theory.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

.Mac doesnt have a spam problem, email in general has a spam problem.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

This is the same spam I've been receiving lately, I've never had issues before and I don't go round giving away my .mac account address to sites (that is what my work email is for ;)). I hope Apple can address this issue soon it really is p1$$ing me off. I wonder if there is a way to just filter images only as junk mail? Time to have a good look at Mail. If I can't work it out I think I'll cancel my .Mac account, it isn't good value anymore, and I hate spam!

edit:

I just had a look at the spam on my account now. It all seems to be .gif attachments so I just created a rule to move any email with .gifs an attachment from people not in my address book straight to my Junk folder. That should work for me, since I never get .gifs from anyone I know.