What is Apple up to?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Feb 11, 2002.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2001
    I just read the article at maccentral about the lack of hardware that will be unvieled in the coming months. What does that means for Apple? I am not sure. I think they better move thier asses if they want to really compete with Windows based machines. I think the iMac is perfect, the iBook could be a little faster, and the Powerbook needs a speed bump. On the PowerMac side, hey, 1Ghz is nice, but it's not really a big deal. My question is: What is going on with the G5? Are they going to wait for AMD to unviel the hammer, and for Intel to unviel thier McKinley? IF they are, then we may not see the G5 for a while. I guess anyway. I was sure that the G5 was going to come out in MWNY, but now I am not so sure. I guess Motorola is having problems. What do you guys think of all this?
  2. abe macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    I don't think we gonna see the G5 in the near future.

It's more likely that Apple will reveal faster boards and faster (MP) G4s to stay competitive with the price ...
  3. keithcobbett macrumors member

Jan 6, 2002
    Hillsborough, NH
    I disagree totally. The G3 was released in Nov. 97 and the G4 was released in Sept. 99. This would lead me to believe that the G5 is do out sooner rather than later. I would say July is about right. Motorola is a great company and they fix their problems relatively quick. Don't be surprised if they have everything resolved within a 2-4 week time frame. Expect the G5's in NY. (July, 02)
  4. MattB macrumors member

Jul 16, 2001
    Would it be possible...

...for Apple to partner up with AMD to use thier chips? I don't know anything about the architechtural differences between the AMD and the Motorolas/IBMs, but it seems like it would be a worth while venture. AMD has great chips out right now.
  5. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios

What a bunch of CRYBABIES! This is all coming from the same people who were doing nothin but b!tching about Apple not breakin' the gHz barrier, and now all you can complain about is that the G5 isnt coming out tomorrow!

Give me a freakin break, people! And please check yourself, even though I know you already know this: Apple now has a DUAL 1g machine! Thats a huge difference over a single processor system! Do you know what that means??? God, that thing is fast, and can render like I have never seen!! It does more, faster than the 2.2ghz PC we have sitting next to it. Its like having two computers in one box.

Man, if you all would have been listening to us post about three weeks ago, we had a thread about the G5, and the SANE people all predicted MWSF 03. THATS when the G5 is coming out. Mark your calendar, set your watch, configure your star map. GET over it. The dual G4 systems are un-freakin stopable--and you would know that if you had ever used it.

When the 64bit G5 emerges, it will be welcomed with wide open arms, but in the meantime, use the power-house machines that are available NOW, and quit crying!

PS-This rant is directed at the post starter, not repliers.
  6. eXistenZ_ng macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2001
    Apple and AMD is not gonna happen. Then they have to put bigger(and more) fans in all the machines to keep the heat down.
    I don't think that would fit with todays silent macs..
  7. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    AMD & Apple

The only way we're going to see an AMD in an Apple anytime soon (read: "within the next 5 years") is if AMD becomes a PowerPC licensee and starts building PowerPC chips.

It has nothing to do with "heat generation", it has to do with the fact that the Intel architecture is *totally* different than the PowerPC architecture and every piece of software (including the OS) on the Macintosh would have to be ported to the x86 architecture.

This is a *huge* transition and one that is not likely to happen any time soon. The result would be a catostrophic loss of support from a developer community that just spent tremendous amounts of money porting their software to OS X.
  8. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    As a recent convert from Wintel to Apple, I really think you Apple folks don't get it -- hardware is not and has NEVER been the issue ... SOFTWARE is the issue. I think most Wintel users will tell you that they think Apple machines are better, they just don't buy them because they can't run the software they want.

In other words, it's not the megahertz gap that's killing you, it's the software titles gap ... close that gap, and Apple's superior OS and hardware will begin to win converts. The bulk of PC users couldn't care less about clockspeed.
  9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA

u said it all man...

God Bless U! ;)
  10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Maybe not for you, but MHz has always been a big buzzword to the sadly uninformed, and IS important to them. Apple needs to worry about three things: 1) Wooing new users to the Mac platform, 2) Converting existing PC users to the Mac platform, and 3) Keeping Mac users from converting to the PC platform. Ranking from most impending to least impending, of course.

It's a mixture of both hardware power and software that's the key. The Mac IS powerful, but still doesn't measure up in the "superficial" numbers, like MHz. Or GHz as is the case now. Additionally, the G4's mobo is definitely in need of a revamp. The system bus is not up to par. DDR has been around for awhile now and yet the dual gig is STILL running 133! These are things that do matter.
  11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Why are you people ranting and raving about a G5? I guarentee 90 percent of the people that do, have never used a G4 over 466MHz. I mean, a G4 2X1GHz!!! That is truly psycho! You all should know by now that the G5 WONT be out ATLEAST until MWSF 2003. So just buy a superfly G4, and if the G5 comes out, tough luck. The G4 is probly the fastest chip on the market, so be happy with what you got.

P.S.- If the G5 comes out at MWSF 2003 (which I believe it will), I will be there! SF is the only convention I go to! Except for FCP, and Quicktime...:eek:
  12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    He does have a point with Apple's bus speed and RAM performance. But stil: do you really NEED the power? DDR would be great, but its just a greater cost...
  13. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Give me some examples...

I would concede this point if I could come up with good examples of software that just wasn't available on the Mac. Sure, there are a ton of games that aren't made for the Mac. But most, if not all, of the big ones are ported sooner rather than later.

Don't give me a list of small-time software as an example. The Mac has a myriad of crappy shareware and small programs available for it and not available for PC. The fact is that programs like these--on either side--just don't factor in.

MS Software (minus Windows--thank gods), Adobe software, most macromedia, most major games, mathematica, web design, unix software (that DOESN"T run on MS's platform!), Pro Tools (audio editing)...all of these are available for Mac. And there are even a fair amount of professional quality applications available only for the Mac (just look at Apple's own software--its getting some good buzz). (And I know some of this software isn't yet available to OS X, give it a few months!)

Your favorite chat program isn't Mac compatible!?!?! Well I'll send you links to about a thousand Mac chat clients. Same goes with nearly every other category of product.

What most people don't get is that just because a PARTICULAR PROGRAM isn't available for the Mac doesn't mean a Mac can't do it. The Mac is a different platform with a different look at the world--that doesn't mean its not capable of doing common tasks, it just means that there may be different programs for the tasks you are familiar with. The best example of this might be Window's Outlook. Win User, "I installed Office on my new Mac/friend's Mac but there isn't any Outlook!" Mac User, "Did you see the program called Entourage? Thats a full featured mail client. Its equivilent to Outlook." Win User, "Yeah, but its not Outlook."

What people don't consider is that the Mac equivilent may be as good...even better.

In all seriousness, I would like some examples of programs you think the Mac platform is lacking. OS X is new and its quite possible I'll agree with you. My point is that most people don't make an educated enough look into what is really available for the Mac.

14. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    It's more a PERCEPTION issue than reality. Games DO matter, even for people who don't play them, because they help shape the perception that there's not as much available for the Mac as for Windows.

Even for programs that exist on both platforms, there's a perception that files created on one platform aren't the same as those created on another. A lot of people think that files created in Word for Mac need further translation before they can be used on a Windows machine ... it's a carryover perception from the days when files were transferred by floppy drives.

What would really help Apple break through this perception problem is having some killer programs that AREN'T available on the PC. I suppose that's what Apple has in mind with the iPod, iPhotos, iMovie, etc. It's the right strategy ... keep expanding on it, get more aps on OS X, educate the public about common file formats and Apple will start to make some headway. Increasing Mhz? Yawn ... a non-issue.