What is Apple's Return Policy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by monke, Oct 12, 2005.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

It sounds like Apple introduced an upgraded iMac at the Media Event today. I bought an iMac on September 15, can I return it and get a new one? I received it 14 days ago, which would be September 28th.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you return it today. You only get 14 days. As long as it isn't a Build to Order, you can't return those.

3. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

So if I upgraded the ram, they won't take it back. darn.

4. Digital_Guy macrumors newbie

What is Apple's Return Policy?

Apple's return policy is a very strict 14 days. I learned this the hard way last Christmas. I was given an iPod that I didn't want (I have no idea why it was bought for me, I do not listen to music at all). The iPod was ordered December 5th, 2004, and was delivered on December 7th. It was a Christmas gift, but because the item had been delivered on December 7th, the 14-day return / exchange policy expired on December 21st, a full 4 days before Christmas. I had no chance. :mad: I contacted Apple and explained the situation, but was told that the return policy was 14 days from the date of delivery.

I HIGHLY ADVISE ... if you know of ANYONE purchasing Apple branded products for Christmas THIS year or in the future ... that you hold off until as close as possible to Christmas before making the purchase (December 23rd or December 24th, if at all possible). I would not want anyone to have the difficulty in not being able to return the product(s) to Apple that I had last year.

5. tvguru macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat. Did the build to order for the 400gig and can't return. I can't complain though the gave me $460cdn as compensation. So i get the new iPod for free. ;)

6. surfdog_2005 macrumors member

Shoot! I did the same thing. I received my new iMac on Sept. 30, but I upgraded so I guess I couldn't have returned it anyways. How much better is the new iMac? This is my first Mac - bought it for Photoshop stuff and web design. I don't really care about the iSight or Front Row, just the tech specs. I bought the faster 2.0 17" and upgraded to 1GB RAM and a 250GB hard drive. Looks like I could have saved a couple hundred dollars, but I'm nore concerned about performance. Convince me that I still made a good first Mac purchase! I'm feeling like I got screwed.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If it does what you want you have nothing to feel bad about, if it was a bad computer you would of thought so the second you fired it up.

8. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

When are you gonna learn, never BTO. It's a hell lot cheaper to go third party anyway.
    How about that free iPod engraving. Might as well engrave "Not Returnable" right on it.
    Apple loves doing BTO cause they know you won't be able to return them after that, just like the iPod engraving.
    Slick bastard... :mad:

9. thechief12 macrumors newbie

I just received my iMac on Saturday Oct 17. It, of course, had extra ram and upgraded vid card (BTO). It started locking up on Monday and won't reboot after a restart. Have an appointment at the Apple store on Friday. Do you think I have a case for a full return or maybe an exchange for a 27" iMac? WTF!

10. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

dude, did you really just open up a 4-year-old thread?!

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hey, at least they searched. :)

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Some Apple store managers have been known to be lenient. If you are trading for another Apple product of equal or greater value (and paying the difference of course). Just be nice and state your case in person.