Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
What about the twentieth anniversary Mac? It wasn't necessarily a bad product, but definitely the one people probably don't remeber. Although, in some episodes of Seinfeld you can see one on Jerry's desk. :)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
No Question, the Hockey Puck mouse is a clear big time loser. It encapsulates almost perfectly all the worst aspects of aesthetic driven industrial design with no redeeming usability features. It is a triumph of form over function.

Nothing about this product was good. It was impossible to accurately mouse with it, the ball tracked poorly as the whole mousebody rotated in your hand like some out-of-control helicopter with no tail, or worse, scooted entirely out of your grip like a greasy bar of soap.

All my kids hated it despite Apple promoting it as a perfect fit for their hands.

This product clearly was never tested by anyone with half a brain at Apple before it went onto production, and we were all lumbered with years of scorn and derision from the PC crowd as we flailed about trying to get some work done with this poxy orb.

-5,000,000 points for that one Apple. I think the designer of this loathsome disc should volunteer to have one inserted where the sun doesn't shine.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Just read back thru the thread and I think the hockey puck is the clear winner. And to all of you who say its a great mouse, I just wannna see those hands of yours, because I reckon you'd have to be some sort of 3 fingered alien mutant love-child to fully appreciate that device.

No offence intended to any genuine 3 fingered aliens who might be reading this thread from Beta 3 Fingerus or whatever. ;)

ZeppelinArmada

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
Mostly here
The puck never caught on fire, nor did it melt or come from apple broken. It didn't have a habit of being fried during power surges or dying randomly. It would not get hot and leak a caustic orange substance nor would it fall apart if you picked it up. In my opinion the lack of these features is what really condemns the puck, because if it had any of them, I wouldn't have to use them at school.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by ZeppelinArmada
The puck never caught on fire, nor did it melt or come from apple broken. It didn't have a habit of being fried during power surges or dying randomly. It would not get hot and leak a caustic orange substance nor would it fall apart if you picked it up. In my opinion the lack of these features is what really condemns the puck, because if it had any of them, I wouldn't have to use them at school.

YESSS - That's the bit I missed, the damn thing wouldn't die, it was a robust, ubiquitous inconvenience, like the influenza virus or airport security checks.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
LC

No question in my mind. The LC. A friend had one in college and it was so pathetic it couldn't even handle the 19,200bps serial connection in his dorm. That thing was a Luser.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Originally posted by MacBandit
The entire Performa line.

The Performa 6400 was pretty good. But the worst in my opinion was the LCII crippled. Along with the LC, IIvx, 6100, and the 6xxx Perfroma line exept the 6360. What else? Oh yeah the overpriced fruity ibooks, the 500mhz powermac g4's and the first rev imac( 28.8k modem, 2mb vram, skmpy software package)

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
Performa 6300 series.

Apple monitors from the mid-90's era - they had a really high failure rate.

The pre-recall powerbook 5300 is a close runner up, even though its tendency to catch on fire was overhyped.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
I'll cast my vote for the original "suitcase" Macintosh Portable.

That being said, I'd still love to own one. I can put it on the shelf with my Newtons.

M.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by tjwett
i think the 14" iBook is just a nightmare and a mistake.

I agree the 14" isn't the most elegant Mac ever made, but calling it a nightmare is going a bit too far, in my opninion.
Many around me bought the iBook 14" because of its "perfect" size, and relative cheapness.
I have the 12" iBook (700 Mhz), and I love it! But my boss (> 50 years), fell in love with the 14". Why? One simple reason: He could read everything on the display. He didn't want a "huge" 17" PB, or the "too small" 12' PB.... he wanted the "perfect 14" iBook"....

I think this thread isn't about opinion, but about facts.
The hockey puck mouse was functionally NOT a good mouse! OMG, the company who made ths mouse standard on a computer, messed it up! That's a BAD product.
The Performa 6XXX (series, especially the 6200) had a pretty bad NICs installed. If you plugged the thernet cable in, chances were you unplugged the NIC itself.... Another BAD product.

My vote goes to the hockey puck mouse.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
That god-awful hockey puck called "mouse". It hurt my hand to use the bloody thing. They would be better suited as props in a cheap scifi movie than as office tools.

Perhaps I'll find one and burn it in effigy.

Nice idea. But so was "Reaganomics".

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i hate to say it but i hate the current pro-mouse more than the hockeypuck ones - atleast you can click+drag them over a long distance! with the promouse you have to use both hands to make sure the button's still depressed when you pick up the mouse to move it to the other side of the mousemat.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I've never had any problem getting with Apple's bandwagon on different, mouse designs. They have all worked very well with me for Architecture.

I think 10.0 really bites the big one, as well as 8.5, only because they really were so aweful.

10.2 is good, but we from what I am seeing in Panther, I will definatly be buying that upgrade

(my #1 item is the graphite basestation that just overheated though)

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by mrjamin
atleast you can click+drag them over a long distance! with the promouse you have to use both hands to make sure the button's still depressed when you pick up the mouse to move it to the other side of the mousemat.

I just did that with my Pro Mouse with one hand...

I like my Pro Mouse. Sure, I wouldn't buy the thing seperately (costs too much for what it is), but it's good enough that I didn't buy a new mouse for my G4 iMac.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by MacFan26
What about the twentieth anniversary Mac? It wasn't necessarily a bad product, but definitely the one people probably don't remeber. Although, in some episodes of Seinfeld you can see one on Jerry's desk. :)

Oh man, the Smoke & Mirrors is one of the best Apple computers ever. A bit overpriced, perhaps, but this was a true Apple luxury computer, with beautiful LCD and built-in speakers. A nice, pristine, dark computer. I wish I had one.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Honestly, every product before 2001 was garbage in my opinion (with the exception of the Pismo). Of course, that was when I was a very biased PC owner.

So in my 2 years of owning a mac, the worst Apple products I've actually used are....

hardware... hockey puck mouse.
software.... OS 10.0

Dishonerable mention... OS 9

After buying my iBook 500 I had to use OS 9 to dial up to AOL. OS 10 had no software and was damn slow... but it looked nice.
At the time I was flipping between OS X and Yellow Dog Linux because it was so bad.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Would Apple's online service, eWorld, be considered a failure because it closed after a couple of years, or just a temporary success?

eWorldORIG.jpg

Again, apple failed here because they were before their time, they were like AOL... too many years too soon.

Worst product:
Powerbook Duo Series (210, 230, 250, 280)

Those things weighted Like 15 Pounds!

Oh yeah very 'portable'!

:eek:

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by MrMacman
Again, apple failed here because they were before their time, they were like AOL... too many years too soon.

Worst product:
Powerbook Duo Series (210, 230, 250, 280)

Those things weighted Like 15 Pounds!

Oh yeah very 'portable'!

:eek:
they still weighed less than modern day dell laptops ;)

/end mac bias :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.