Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
NOTE TO MODS: I am NOT asking about downloading anything illegal. In fact, don't even post names of programs, I just want to talk about the technology.

OK, So I keep hearing my pC using friends talk about bit torrents. They make it seem like a advanced version of Peer to Peer. Is that about right? You download pieces of a program from other users and others download them from you?

How does it actually work? The only thing similar to this that I have used was KAZAA about 3 years ago. You used a program and then typed in a song or whatever and then clicked on it to download. But, from what I get, there are multiple 'torrent' clients. So how do you find something to download? You log onto some kind of a server? Does everyone who uses a bit torrent a member of some huge Kazaa like network?

Just curious.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
I *kinda* get it. So , I download, for example, AZUREUS. But then where do I find the torrent files? The 'index' or whatever. Are they posted on a website?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
eVolcre said:
But then where do I find the torrent files? The 'index' or whatever. Are they posted on a website?
MOD NOTE: Anyone who might try to help, DO NOT post links to illegal BitTorrent trackers.

You can explain the workings, but do not specify sources.

Thank you.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
eVolcre said:
I *kinda* get it. So , I download, for example, AZUREUS. But then where do I find the torrent files? The 'index' or whatever. Are they posted on a website?

Google is your friend ;)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
edesignuk said:
MOD NOTE: Anyone who might try to help, DO NOT post links to illegal BitTorrent trackers.

You can explain the workings, but do not specify sources.

Thank you.

No Probs. I don't even plan on doing this. Just wanted to know how it works since it seems like it's the big thing.

Thanks for those who helped. I understand the mechanics now. :)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
edesignuk said:
That's the most horrific looking tracker I've ever seen :eek: :eek:

You know, I have a question though. OK, that was a legal torrent site. I'm sure you can google and find stuff that isn't supposed to be shared. Now, if I can find it via google so can the authorities, right? So why wouldnt they just shut down the illegal sites? Are there just too many to monitor?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
eVolcre said:
You know, I have a question though. OK, that was a legal torrent site. I'm sure you can google and find stuff that isn't supposed to be shared. Now, if I can find it via google so can the authorities, right? So why wouldnt they just shut down the illegal sites? Are there just too many to monitor?

They are in countries where the legalities are different. Sweden for example. ;)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Diatribe said:
They are in countries where the legalities are different. Sweden for example. ;)

AAAAAH. And unlike P2P there isn't a way to catch the person whos uploading, because EVERYONE has a 'bit' of the file and there's no way you can catch everyone using the system.

Pretty smart, whoever invented this. A copyright nightmare.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
eVolcre said:
AAAAAH. And unlike P2P there isn't a way to catch the person whos uploading, because EVERYONE has a 'bit' of the file and there's no way you can catch everyone using the system.

Pretty smart, whoever invented this. A copyright nightmare.
Your IP is still out in the open when you connect to your peers. It's just that the data isn't centralized to one person's connection (bandwidth nightmare) or even a server. If you have DHT that is.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
It's still a nightmare to track right? So even if the authorities see your IP they don't know what you're sharing? Well, I suppose they could also go to the illegal torrent site, try downloading and then nail the people who give them the 'bits'.

Not quite sure how effectvie that would be to stop the problem aside of making an example of a few shmucks!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
eVolcre said:
It's still a nightmare to track right? So even if the authorities see your IP they don't know what you're sharing? Well, I suppose they could also go to the illegal torrent site, try downloading and then nail the people who give them the 'bits'.

Not quite sure how effectvie that would be to stop the problem aside of making an example of a few shmucks!

You are way to interested in this to just be casual.
But the way the authorities track you down and sue your butt is thus:
The RIAA or MPAA post files and the torrent sites and then track the IP addresses that download the illegal files. Then they go to court and the judge grants a search warrant or subpoena. This subpoena forces your ISP to give up the name on the accounts associated with the IP addresses downloading illegal files. The next step is the RIAA or MPAA sue you for copyright infringement. Thats it in a nutshell.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
skubish said:
You are way to interested in this to just be casual.

Thanks for assuming things about me. Not that I need to explain myself but I'm an MBA student and interested in things that change the way we view our world. I'm also 30 years old and have a) no interest in downloading and b)enough money to buy **** legally.

With that being said, thanks for the info. It's genuinely interesting and sometimes people are interested in ideas and how they work and the psychology behind them without a desire to download the latest South APrk (roll eyes) episode illegally

eV

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
keep in mind the RIAA/MPAA have been upping modified torrents designed to report false statistics and never finish the torrent. it's beyond connecting to the swarm and grabbing as many IPs as you can.

tonyreedo

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
why don't torrents work on my intel mac leopard?

I've installed BitTorrent, downloaded some torrent files, added them....and nothing dowloads or goes VERY slow, too slow, like 2k max.
I have a highspeed connection that works- 2mb down, 330 upload.
My firewall is set to allow all connections.
I have tried Tomato- that also does nothing. Only searches for files.

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Is is something you have to pay for? What the heck is going on and why is this just one more thing a mac can't do!? (I sound frustrated, huh)

.....like I can't believe Quicktime STILL can't open an avi file without some outside help!

...HELP.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
... A copyright nightmare.

Yes, but when you consider that there's very little loss of business due to copyright infringement and that sales generally improve despite copyright infringement, sympathy goes down.

Thanks for assuming things about me. Not that I need to explain myself but I'm an MBA student and interested in things that change the way we view our world. I'm also 30 years old and have a) no interest in downloading and b)enough money to buy **** legally.

Proof that you're a liar ;-)

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I've installed BitTorrent, downloaded some torrent files, added them....and nothing dowloads or goes VERY slow, too slow, like 2k max.
I have a highspeed connection that works- 2mb down, 330 upload.
My firewall is set to allow all connections.
I have tried Tomato- that also does nothing. Only searches for files.

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Is is something you have to pay for? What the heck is going on and why is this just one more thing a mac can't do!? (I sound frustrated, huh)

.....like I can't believe Quicktime STILL can't open an avi file without some outside help!

...HELP.

A torrent is only so fast as its swarm. Linux distros typically have some of the largest, fastest swarms out there, so try one of those. They should easily saturate your connection.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

"ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent" is probably the most popular link, so give that one a try. There's no need to finish the download, just grab a few megabytes and see how fast things go.

Yes, but when you consider that there's very little loss of business due to copyright infringement and that sales generally improve despite copyright infringement, sympathy goes down.

Proof that you're a liar ;-)

You realize you're responding to a post made over 3 years ago, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.