What is Cocoa

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pats-madin, Apr 16, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey,

Im new to macs and i dont know much about programming so bear with me. Anyways i am interested in making some small games, just for fun. I tried to look for applications for writing code and i found, what i think is an application, Cocoa. However I can't find anywhere to download it... I feel like this may be a very stupid question but what excactly is Cocoa and is it a good program to write code for small games?

2. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

First you need to install the developers tools, they are on the OS X DVD or can be downloaded here.

3. macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Cocoa is a programming environment, Xcode and Interface Builder are the programs used to create the code (they're part of Developer Tools, which are an optional install on the OS X DVD). There's lots of good tutorials on how to use it here: http://cocoadevcentral.com

However, if you're new to programming then it might be a bit overwhelming at first - there's a thread from a while back that provides some links to programs that are easier to use.

You might want to check those out to start with. I've tried Scratch and it's good for making small, quick games. :)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for all the great info. Really helped. I think i might look into one of the ones that karenflower suggested.