What is Computer Ethics?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrMacMan, Dec 17, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Simple enough... except is not.

Each Company, Organization, Family has different rules...

I have no idea how to write this paper...

Any ideas?

:(

2. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I don't what you're quoting there, but that's the most horrifically constructed sentence I've ever seen.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Heh..... you had to ask...

The 10 commandments of Hacking:

1: Thou shalt not threaten lives with thy Hacking.

2: Thou shalt not fink other Hackers.

3: Thou shalt not hack the same high-risk law-enforcement mainframe twice from the same physical location.

4: Thou shalt not aid Microsoft.

5: Thou shalt not endanger thy country in thy Hacking.

6: Thou shalt Hack as the wolf: to cull the weak.

7: Thou shalt not Hack maliciously without dire need.

8: Thou shalt not create Viruses with the intention of releasing them.

9: Thou shalt not crash a DNS.

10: Thou shalt not use AOL or MSN in any form save IM.

:D ;)

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I tried to work out the meaning of that sentence too.

I failed miserably.

As for the topic -

from here:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=computer ethics

Hope that helps.

scem0

5. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Which shows my work load right now.

I didn't even read the sentence...

blah.

I have nothing.

Thin air.

Talking about hacking, piracy and a filtering system is too broad to learn anything on.

6. johnnowak macrumors 6502

That makes no sense.

Just write, "Cyberethics is the concept of an ethical base for internet-centric communications."

And just to have my post deleted, whatreallyhappened.com is a bunch of crap btw.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Cyber-ethics defined:

Cyber-ethics is the art of using the most profound Data network ever devised while maintaining your own security and privacy and resisting the urge to violate said data sets belonging to other people.

8. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Cyberethics is saying "hi a/s/l" before asking to "do it".

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I was required to take a class on computer ethics in college. (but it was presented from the point of view that a computer professional should have.) Basically the idea was not using your knowledge of computers to take advantage of people who were less computer savvy. Also to make sure that your recommendations always best served the person you were recommending them to.

You could always do something along the lines of logging into someone's e-mail with a poor password, and taking advantage of that, would be like walking around in someone's house who left the door unlocked. (ignoring the legal ramifications.)

In your case you might want to write a paper on why it is bad to circulate information on how to circumvent internet filtering systems. ;) :D :D :D

10. h'biki macrumors regular

Re: What is Computer Ethics?

Well thats pretty much true of ethics per se, isn't it? Computer ethics is just an application of ethics to the very very powerful tool of a computer.

The best way to write a paper is simple: have a strong thesis which your paper sets out to prove -- and use that as a framework for your discussion of the 'course topics' that the professor is asking you to address (theft, piracy, power, etc.).

My recommendation for a thesis would be something like Comptuers have undermined the application of ethics in society.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think the better question is: "how should information be shared or sold?"

12. joeyisdcb macrumors newbie

Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

I agree...but I think your thesis is still too broad. Maybe it could be tightened up a bit by saying something like: The anonymous nature of computers have undermined the application of ethics in society.

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

Bah. The erosion of ethics in society isn't due to computers or telecomm but to lack of full-time parenting.

Just like money or the telephone, it's just a tool that can be misused. It's a tool.... like a Machete is a tool : Uganda can show you how the Machete can effect ethics.

Take this tack: With instant and total communication getting closer by the day, society has more accountability for it's ethics than ever before.

14. joeyisdcb macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

Bah...just trying to get him to tighten up his thesis...I'm not trying to debate computer ethics. Nonetheless...anonymous was the key word...not computers.

So, If someone wanted to call you an a**hole on this board...it would be much easier because of anonymity (or the appearance thereof).

<admin edit> working around the profanity filter will get you banned. This is the last warning.</admin edit>

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

biz niz ethics ....... (shots fired) YAYY BILLY!

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

Point taken. Though cheap shots will get you nowhere. I took over the position of Official MR Anus when Alphatech retired.

I occasionally deputize some of the younger and more energetic members.:cool:

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and the laws of the land, written with brick and mortar businesses in mind, are still yet to catch up with the computerized world and the internet

what is a monopoly? microsoft? heck, the product they dominate was not even considered a product just 30 years ago

what is stealing when it comes to music? napster? well, a lot of people, judges, and lawyers don't think so

what is unwanted spam or advertising? telemarketers? yes, but what about email spam?...the jury is still out on that one

the quick invention of the personal computer and its general rise in the early 80s and relatively quick introduction of the internet more than a decade later in many homes has made it nearly impossible to draw boundaries for even the most basic definitions

and mr. macman, i hope these could be used in your paper on computer ethics:)

18. joeyisdcb macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

Glad you noticed! ;)

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I think you are going to first learn how to properly write a sentence: Shouldn't your thread title have been "What are Computer Ethics?" ? :p

20. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thanks.

Don't drag politicals into this... please. I die whenever I hear Dick Cheny speak... my mom is a speach therapist, he needs massive work.

:notices 'Guest' Title:
    Was he banned?

What the heck?

I thought the banned title was like 'banned' :confused:

I can point this out time and time again.

First Contribute to the Discussion... Then AFTER criticize.

Thanks for your input guys.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not certain, but Guest might be a temporary ban?

22. h'biki macrumors regular

Perhaps. Depends on his word length :)

If its only 1000 words then a focused thesis like that would work fersure (and its one I agree with too).

But if its longer, then he'd need to look at other factors which have helped computers undermine the application of ethics. The most obvious which is the transistory nature of information and the destruction of concepts of private property (related concepts). For many liberal theorists, the protection of private property is the bedrock of an ethical society.

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is Computer Ethics?

I still think the base concept is a pat answer. I figure that the more pervasive telecommunications get, the more instant-accountability we have for our ethical decisions. Computers don't erode ethics, they expose existing poor behaviour. The previously cited anonimity serves to lull us into exposing our truely grotesque ethical selves.