what is considered stealing music?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 7, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    when i buy music, it's either a cassette or cd

i know there are other ways to get music, especially over the internet...for free

i am an old fogee, so be patient, how does one get music on the net legally?

napster might have got slapped down, but so many people, i would say most people, seem to side with him and against the record companies

i personally think the record companies charging what they do and ripping off the artists make them crooks...but does that make it right to steal music off the internet?

and having studied labor law and knowing something about law in general, and having been a musician and in high tech... i think there might be a level of stealing going on even though there are not "laws" to back up the side of the record companies

just like computer hardware companies thought that software was worth passing over and got reamed for it, lawyers never saw the power of the internet or commerce on computers all hooked up together
  2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    This looks like as good of a place as any.

some bands also just flat out encourage mp3 distributions over things like limewire so they can get popular more easily. but for must artists, you will have to pay for your DL.
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    www.emusic.com is where I've been going lately, thanks to moxiemike. ;)

pay $10 per month, get unlimited downloads...not too bad...

and they have a killer jazz selection! :D
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    emusic has a horrible rock selection though... I personally don't
    like 'em. :( ;)
  5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    thanks for info

i like the paid concept of ten a month and i know that some of that will go to the record companies where completely free downloads can't help the record companies

...unless those free sites get advertising money for banner ads and such and pay some sort of fee to the record companies...which would make sense

it shouldn't be an all or nothing game here

the record companies should get some money...just not as much as they are asking for cds now;)