What is considered the best RSS Reader for Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SandersHokie, Jan 29, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I have started using Safari, and like it. It's real fast, so I'm looking for a RSS Reader for Macintosh that is good and popular.

thanks for any advice.

I loved the RSS Reader on Firefox where I could hit the RSS Feed and they would all come down, but on Safari you have to open up another page.

thanks for the advice

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Depends on who you ask... :)

I've gone through NetNewsWire Lite, Safari 2, Sage (Firefox add-on) and Vienna and have ended up with Google Reader.

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

i like this NewsFire, but you have to purchase it. What is the Safari 2 and how do I use it? haha, sorry if that sounds dumb, but I've used Firefox on Macintosh until recently, and now Safari seems to go much quicker.

4. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I've tried a few different ones and ended up with the Sage RSS reader plugin for Firefox. If you don't already use Firefox, this may not be the best option.

It is semi-customizable, with support for different CSS layouts for viewing the feeds.

Sage RSS Reader for Firefox.

5. macincar macrumors member

I like NewsFire but Google Reader is my final choice, coz I'm using multiple computers including PC and Mac.

6. indiean macrumors member

Another vote for NewsFire - I used Google Reader, but since I only have one computer for everything NewsFire does the trick. It's pretty, it's fast, and handles all my feeds well.

7. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You could try Opera. Its a web browser, mail client and RSS reader all in one.

8. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Should I buy NewsFire or just stick with safari. I tried google reader but it is really buggy when i use it in safari.

9. indiean macrumors member

Well, there is also the option of NetNewsWire, but I got NewsFire with the Macheist bundle and I'm really happy with it - it supports my ever-growing lists of feeds, is very attractive, and works really well, and has growl support. Some people prefer NetNewsWire for the three-pane interface, among other things, but I'm casting my vote for NewsFire (don't stick with Safari, its reader isn't good at all...)

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I somehow never get on with the RSS readers built into the browsers.

NewsFire is my preference, because it is simple. I don't want something to take-over the screen.

Plus I like the keyboard shortcuts, space to loop through unread articles, enter or b to open in a browser.

11. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I've been demoing NewsFire and really like the interface. One last question before i spent the 20 bucks to buy the program should i wait for leopard and see how the new RSS reader in mail works. Does anyone know if that is going to be a RSS reader.

12. indiean macrumors member

Well, as of now, there's not even a ship date for leopard, so it might be a long wait. I have no idea about the RSS reader in mail, though - never even heard of it as a feature.