Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoeLou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Since installing watchOS2 last week, I have had several days where my battery on my 38mm reaches less than 20% by bedtime, which I haven't been seeing since I've had the watch in May. Usually it's at about 40%.

Today for example. Up at 8am, it's now 11pm, I'm on 14%. Checked my usage, and it's saying 6 hours 4 mins with 15 hours 11 minutes standby.

What the heck counts as usage?? I swear all I have done today is receive notifications and check the time!

R740

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
London
Usage is counted when your AW's screen is on. Maybe something is bad with your AW's sensors and it lights up without even raising your wrist. Have you tried restoring?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Usage is anytime the :apple:Watch is doing anything more than 'sleeping'. Sending/receiving data, running an App, screen on, accelerometer activity,.....

Over 6 hours is a lot. Just a couple of things to look at.

• Did you leave the Workout app running?
  • Did you leave the Remote or Music App connected?
  • Do you have any 'new' 3ed party native Apps that may be running?

ZoeLou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Usage is anytime the :apple:Watch is doing anything more than 'sleeping'. Sending/receiving data, running an App, screen on, accelerometer activity,.....

Over 6 hours is a lot. Just a couple of things to look at.

• Did you leave the Workout app running?
  • Did you leave the Remote or Music App connected?
  • Do you have any 'new' 3ed party native Apps that may be running?

I was thinking it was a lot too. Nope. None of those apps running. I did notice there were a few apps updating on the watch. That could have done it. But I'm not sure why my usage was at six hours!

ZoeLou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Usage is counted when your AW's screen is on. Maybe something is bad with your AW's sensors and it lights up without even raising your wrist. Have you tried restoring?

Hmmm I haven't noticed anything like that. I did unpair and pair again a few days ago, is that what you mean?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I was thinking it was a lot too. Nope. None of those apps running. I did notice there were a few apps updating on the watch. That could have done it. But I'm not sure why my usage was at six hours!
It is possible that one of the Apps was corrupt while updating and continued to request update data for an extended time. Did you notice any App 'stuck' in update mode (updates should only take a few moments)?

ZoeLou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
It is possible that one of the Apps was corrupt while updating and continued to request update data for an extended time. Did you notice any App 'stuck' in update mode (updates should only take a few moments)?

I checked, no stuck apps

Got to be an app or something as 6 hours usage is a lot!

Is there anyway to tell?

Have you tried to reset the Watch or unpair/repair with your iPhone?

Yup I have. Fixed it for a day or so, but no cigar

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Is there anyway to tell?
Not yet, at least not the same way that the iOS Settings -> Battery -> Usage can tell you which app has been running the most.

For now, maybe try uninstalling all third party apps, then add them back one-by-one (and use them) to see which ones trigger a power drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.