What is "EconoRam"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigrell486, Jul 10, 2006.

1. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

I've been looking around for a great deal on Macbook Ram and I see that Datamem has a 2 GB kit for $164 but it is labeled as EconoRam. After a quick unconclusive search on Google I think econoram is slower than the normal Ram which costs about $210 I believe. But what exactly is Econoram?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Basically, you can save a few bucks by going with a one-year warranty instead of the lifetime warranty and are willing to trust RAM that hasn't been tested quite as thoroughly as their full-priced offerings.

3. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Overpriced memory.

EconoRam is equivelent to Value Ram. Which consist of whatever chips are cheapest at the time. In most cases it is slower than the non-Value line. That is not guaranteed though.

I believe the DataMem Econo ram has a 1 year warranty. Which, for the price is a rip considering other rams can be had for about the same price and sometimes less, and they include a lifetime warranty.

You will more than likely get the "guaranteed compatibility" argument. But, seriously...

4. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

I bought 1GB with 1 year warranty from DataMem for my iMac G5 a week ago and works perfect.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Which is not worth the small price difference in my opinion. I think that it is wise to avoid value/EconoRam if at all possible. :eek: :)

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

7. dav macrumors 6502

I bought a 2GB kit from datamem.com and it is flawless.

I guess I got what I paid for?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not always...when compared to places like OWC and DMS, you don't get what you pay for if you buy RAM from Apple.

That said, I too avoid EconoRAM...it's only a few bucks more for their higher-quality stuff with the full warranty, so I go with that for peace of mind.

9. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

From apple: iMac 2 gigs = 600$ :eek:
    You can find some gook prices at newegg...

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I just order from Crucial. I'll pay a bit more for the guarantee and warrantee...

11. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Do you guys really care for a lifetime warranty?

I mean, for how long are you gonna use the computer before you buy a new one? 3 years? 5 at the most?

12. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

I got a gig stick of ram from newegg that came w/ a lifetime warranty for 70 bucks... Works fine in my iMac, noticably faster loading in oblivion :cool:

13. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Basically the memory with longer warranties usually has better odds of being flawless. However, any memory has some chance of being bad; even the most expensive stuff. Regardless of what memory you buy, always test it immediately after installing. You can't just rely on the fact that the machine doesn't crash -- it could also be corrupting data without causing crashes.

14. BAspecialCake macrumors member

BAspecialCake

I truly believe you get what you pay for...

Why risk it? Buy the good stuff.