Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its no wonder people think iTunes is good enough.

Think what you want. It's wrong and completely innacurate to compare stop images (using different displays with differing pixel characteristics) of motion picture material, but think away.

I never said it was better nor does that article, quite the contrary actually. I was just pointing out the obvious purpose of the article relative to what you said about screen size.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
I never said it was better nor does that article, quite the contrary actually. I was just pointing out the obvious purpose of the article relative to what you said about screen size.

I would suggest then that you read the entire conversation for context next time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would suggest then that you read the entire conversation for context next time.

Well, check out this "absurd" comparison from the highly respected and venerable Ars Technica site, performed way back in 2012.

"I was surprised to see how close the iTunes 1080p download comes to Blu-ray, considering that it's only a fraction of the file size."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/03/the-ars-itunes-1080p-vs-blu-ray-shootout/

And even this comparison involves some pretty extreme pixel-peeping. ;-)

Completely laughable. Done with a 23" PC monitor and a MacBook.

The context became irrelevant.

Even if you want to manipulate that into not talking about screen size but motion and color it's still irrelevant because BD will look better on both those screens you were essentially laughing at.

I'm not trying to claim 1080p iTunes looks better because it doesn't. I just didn't want everyone to start grabbing at the idea screen size matters when distances and human sight are removed from the equation.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

The context became irrelevant.

Even if you want to manipulate that into not talking about screen size but motion and color it's still irrelevant because BD will look better on both those screens you were essentially laughing at.

I'm not trying to claim 1080p iTunes looks better because it doesn't. I just didn't want everyone to start grabbing at the idea screen size matters when distances and human sight are removed from the equation.

The comparison is useless because there are two different display devices used for the comparison and taking a still picture of something intended to be viewed in motion then calling it comparable is laughable.

Reactions: cynics

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Doesn't that limit the size of your library to 160gb?

Nope, I've upgraded the hard drive a couple of times. I think I've got 0.5TB in there now. It's fine for my music. (I don't actually have a lot of movies.)

twobelowpar

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2013
Its no wonder people think iTunes is good enough.

Think what you want. It's wrong and completely innacurate to compare stop images (using different displays with differing pixel characteristics) of motion picture material, but think away.

It's no Bluray, but often, it is "good enough" for casual viewers. I never thought I'd be one of those people, but with 2 little kids and less expendable income, I'll take cheap digital HD codes hosted on iCloud any day. I reserve buying Blurays for the best of the best titles now.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I use Plex on a Linux server (15TB) with external backup to several 4TB volumes.

My main PC (Windows) also host JRiver with a local library. The library contain local audio files. I also have JRiver on Mac and Linux. I synchronize my main desktop and my server. I also tell Plex to index the JRiver library copy. I can connect from anywhere use Plex or JRiver, audio or videos.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I just built a custom NAS this past week using a Lenovo TS140 server with the unRAID NAS operating system. While new, it seems to be running perfectly, and the learning curve was modest. I am still copying over all of my media and data, so it is not 100% operational yet.

For the media I do have on the NAS already, I am pointing both Plex and iTunes at the files, but I am "standardizing" on Plex going forward. I've tested it already using multiple AppleTVs, Macs, Rokus, and even remote watching, and it has been flawless.

javigarrido

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
I use a Drobo 5D (16TB) attached to a "Z83 MiniPC Intel Atom x5-Z8300".

I paid $96 for the miniPC just to have it 24/7 on as a server for the Drobo 5D that I already owned. Powerful enough to transcode 1 HD into a smaller size or direct stream up to 3 HD files at the same time.

twhart

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2016
Essex, UK
I've got my library running off an ancient DRobo.

2014 Mac Mini running iTunes. Library on DRobo (plugged directly in with USB2) that then presents itself to an appleTV4.
On paper there's a few bottlenecks with this setup (USB2 for a start), but it streams 1080p flawlessly. I've not had any issues with any of it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have a mac mini that the wife uses, running plex and itunes connected to a NAS box that I have setup in the closet. No complaints and I stream my content to a variety of different devices, both mobile and at home. Over both wired and wireless.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Custom built file server running Windows 10 with 8x hard drives configured into two Windows Storage Spaces of 4 hard drives each, currently at 16TB each. One of the storage spaces serves as the main archive where I have the iTunes library located along with all my Blu-Ray, DVD, and CD backups, the other storage space serves as the backup storage space and gets synced automatically at night using SyncBackFree.
gallery_38059_491_1496282.jpg
(old photo, now running Windows 10 instead of Ubuntu, but same hardware)

Reactions: ssgbryan and Boyd01

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Has anyone found a good and efficient way to sync two iTunes libraries?

I have a MM and a MBA. The MM has an itunes library will all the music, and the TV shows and movies imported using iFlicks, which is serves up to the various ATVs throughout.

Is there a way to sync the MBA to this library, in the same way that you can sync an iPhone or iPad? I want to have a local copy of just the music, and maybe select TV shows or movies on the MBA, but not the entire thing as it won't fit. Where if I make changes to a song or playlist on either the MM or the MBA, those things are synced up next time I do a sync?

HomeShare doesn't quite do it. While it allows networked access, HomeShare doesn't allow editing playlists of adding new music.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I tried Plex server on Synology Nas before but did not like how it created and stored meta data on my NAS. So I tried Infuse Pro for a while now. I like it but I have to configure every ATV. it is slow to refresh everytime you use it.

I tried Plex server again but this time on Nvidia Shield TV. In short, it is my new favorite. It has the whole package: content manager and media stream player. it is fast and smooth. no need to set up every ATV. it stores meta data and subtitles on the Shield TV. So my Nas is free from this stuff.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I tried Plex server on Synology Nas before but did not like how it created and stored meta data on my NAS. So I tried Infuse Pro for a while now. I like it but I have to configure every ATV. it is slow to refresh everytime you use it.

I tried Plex server again but this time on Nvidia Shield TV. In short, it is my new favorite. It has the whole package: content manager and media stream player. it is fast and smooth. no need to set up every ATV. it stores meta data and subtitles on the Shield TV. So my Nas is free from this stuff.

If you are using Plex in a single-home, with little to no need for transcoding, it is really tough to beat the Nvidia Shield now. You get a capable Plex server plus a super-capable streaming box in one (so 1 fewer AppleTV or other box to purchase for around the house). With it, your NAS can be run-of-the-mill because you won't need the NAS to do any heavy computing.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
If you are using Plex in a single-home, with little to no need for transcoding, it is really tough to beat the Nvidia Shield now. You get a capable Plex server plus a super-capable streaming box in one (so 1 fewer AppleTV or other box to purchase for around the house). With it, your NAS can be run-of-the-mill because you won't need the NAS to do any heavy computing.

I like to use Shield for Plex server or Kodi but I don't like to use it as streaming client. it is not the shield fault but rather Android implementation of UI. stop/FF/Rew on Android is frustrated and jumpy vs ATV UI which is smooth and intuitive.

on the positive side, Android can adapt USB drive as internal storage, hence extending your storage. together with Plex server and powerful hardware, it is perfect platform for a server to manage and organize your media meta.

on the other hand, ATV is a closed system that you can't run Plex as a server. its hardware is also limited, lack of USB to extend storage, etc. on positive side, ATV has the best interface and user-friendly. it is perfect as a streaming client.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
ATV has the best interface and user-friendly. it is perfect as a streaming client.
Unfortunately, that's all it's good for. That inability to add external storage and play media is one of the biggest reasons why I don't have an ATV. That and the fact that it can't pass DTS audio when locally playing movies is why I won't add it to my system. However I do agree that the Plex interface on ATV is very smooth and beautiful.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Unfortunately, that's all it's good for. That inability to add external storage and play media is one of the biggest reasons why I don't have an ATV. That and the fact that it can't pass DTS audio when locally playing movies is why I won't add it to my system. However I do agree that the Plex interface on ATV is very smooth and beautiful.

since I use ATV as a streaming client, storage is not an issue at all. 32/64GB is plenty. For hardcore audio fan, DTS passthrough is an issue.

Android has the ability to extend external storage but it has its own issues. currently Plex metadata can't be written to adapted external storage. many people with 16GB Shield, myself including, is hitting the 16GB ceiling. and I am not even using Shield to store any media content, just Plex meta and Plex app itself.

another issue is that for security reason, data writing to external storage is encrypted. Hence performance is much slower.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
TVMobili on an old MacBook running Snow Leo. Streams successfully to every device I own (Macs with VLC, Windows10 PCs using Windows Media Player, iPad with VLC, Android with VLC, Roku Stick with their media player, and a really old WDTV media player which sees the MacBook as a Media Server). Works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.