Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
Hey all-

i went a lil crazy and put in 2 more hard drives in my MDD Dual 1.4. all are 7200rpm hitachi's. The primary (the original one) is 80GB and is macintosh HD, iwth everything on it at this point. But, will my system run faster if i put everything on one of the two other drives, or is there a way to move everyhing( photos, music, desktop items, apps, etc. to another drive? the two other drives are hitachi desktar's 7200rpm. the second one is a 160gb, the third is an 80gb

clueless about this idea

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
To copy the entire contents of the HD to another HD you can just get carbon copy cloner and set it to backup the old drive to the new drive. Just make sure in preferences you make sure its enabled for booting. You might get a performance boost since those drives are new and probably faster and have more cache so why not.
Also since you bought 2 new drive why not put them in raid 0 it will be faster and then you will have 1 320gb hd and you old 80 gig one. The only bad thing though is if 1 of those 2 drive go, the data on both drives are lost. But you can use your 80gig for a backup

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
If they all have the same amount of cache, then i guess they will have the same performance so I would suggest keeping your apps on one drive and the os on another drive, that might speed things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.